Experience with Belbuca

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
gratefuldee

Experience with Belbuca

Post by gratefuldee »

I introduced myself May 2. I was provided the following response: "We have a couple of our members who have been using it for many years. If you will post a note with any other questions that you have, we would be happy to provide our comments."

Over the time you've been taking Belbuca how much have you had to increase? My starting rx is 75 mg 12 hours apart. Constipation is an issue for all on opioids, I'm imagining?
Thanks!
d

badnights

Re: Experience with Belbuca

Post by badnights »

I take hydromorph contin, not Belbuca, so I can't address part of your question. Re constipation, yes and no. It can be an issue for all opioids, but does not have to be an issue for any of them. You can deal with it by eating lots of soluble fiber. i.e. vegetables.

For a while I was eating 6-9 cups of vegetables daily - dark leafy greens, colored vegetables, and sulfur-containing vegetables (broccoli, onion, etc) - but now I probably eat only about 4-5 cups. Mostly as complicated salads of multiple ingredients, or sauteed. If I feel that things are starting to slow down, it's always because I've slacked off on the vegetables (generally because I haven't been shopping in a while). If I get more vegetables into me as soon as I notice, it doesn't become an issue.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can only speak to the constipation - yep, issue will all of them :-).

I find it greatly depends on opioid dose. Low dose, veggies and diet is fine. Moderate dose and I have to be active, really watch diet (as Beth said, lots of fiber), have lots of water, and sometimes I still need to something (but usually because I forgot one of those things). When my dose is high? Doesn't matter what I do - I have to add a supplement. I've used many of the years - right now, I take magnesium - just OTC capsules. For me, works well.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aggie9092

Post by Aggie9092 »

I take Belbuca 150 mg only at night and haven't been taking it long enough to know if I'll need to increase. Opioids can cause constipation, but I haven't noticed it yet.

gratefuldee

Post by gratefuldee »

Thanks badnights, ViewsAskew and Aggie 9092!
Well, Belbuca was denied by insurer - no real surprise, disappointing nonetheless.... Morphine 5 mg rx'd. We'll see...

QyX

Post by QyX »

Morphine is my primary RLS opioid and it is honestly not bad however 5 mg might not be enough. The big advantage of Morphine is that it often can make you sleepy and help you fall asleep much faster. Sadly I only took a couple months until I developed a tolerance against the hypnotic properties of Morphine but the analgesic properties for RLS are still great. However a long acting / extended release version of Morphine is probably the better option than short acting 5 mg pills.