Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Thivea

Post by Thivea »

I have been having episodes of RLS since 3 years ago. It will go bad for 3-4 months and then mild for the next 3-4 months. When it’s bad, my sleep is badly affected with hardly 2-4 hours of sleep. My physician prescribed Lyrica 75mg 3 Yrs ago, which didn’t help. When increases to 150mg, it causes nausea and drowsy, with no effect on RLS. I have also tried many other types of medications over the years but without success. Many of the physicians I have visited (Singapore/ Malaysia) have little (or no) knowledge about RLS. It has been a frustrating and painful period.

A week ago, I visited a neurologist in Singapore and explained my struggle and experiences. She asked me to try Sifrol 0.125mg and warned me of the side effects. At my condition, I care less of side effects but about RLS and a good night’s sleep.

For me Sifrol is a miracle pill. Last 1 week, RLS has disappeared and I am able to sleep 7-8 hours. Yes. I can’t believe this. I pinched myself to confirm I am not dreaming.

Different interventions work for different people. I think I found mine after searching for 3 years. Hope that it will continue to be effective in the long run and that I will find ways to live a normal life without any drugs.

stjohnh

Re: Newbie

Post by stjohnh »

Welcome, and congrats on a good night's sleep. FYI Sifrol is pramipexole, same a Mirapex. You will see those names much more frequently here than Sifrol. It is a dopamine agonist, and works well for many people, as long as the dose remains low. Many people will eventually develop a problem called augmentation with this drug, keeping the dose as low as possible will help prevent this problem.

RLS is caused by BID (Brain Iron Deficiency). Many people with RLS can have their symptoms markedly reduced or even eliminated with IV Iron treatments. This is the only treatment that gets at the basis for RLS (low brain iron). It has almost no side effects. The International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group has elevated IV Iron treatment to first line therapy. This means that IV Iron is one of the first treatments doctors should try, not one of the last (as has been done for many years). If you can get your doc to prescribe IV Iron treatment, that is the way you should go. Unfortunately this is fairly new information and most docs, even those that frequently treat RLS, are not aware of it. Note that the blood test doctors usually do to check for low iron (ferritin test) only checks for low BLOOD iron, there is no test available for checking for low BRAIN iron. Oral iron usually doesn't provide a high enough blood level increase to help, folks need IV Iron infusions. Here is a link to the recommendations:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub
Blessings,
Holland

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I wonder did your doctor check your bloods, in particular your ferritin serum. When taking Sifrol/mirapex it’s best that this level should be up over 75 as it helps prevent augmentation. For a non sufferer doctors may consider 20 to be adequate.
Please have your Ferritin Serum checked and keep your Sifrol as low as possible.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

I echo what the others have said. Sifrol/Mirapex/pramipexole and the other dopamine-type medications (ropinirole/Requip/Repreve/not sure what other names it has, and levo-carbidopa/Sinemet) - these medications are very seductive. They fix the problem. Wow!!!!! But they almost always end up making the problem worse after some time. This is known as augmentation.

Each time you take the pill, it still works, but you need it earlier in the day, because the symptoms start earlier (the symptoms are circadian, worse in the evening and night); you need more, because the symptoms are more intense, they spread to other body parts, or they start sooner after sitting or lying down. These effects can come on very gradually. Most doctors and patients think that they need more medication when this happens, since that's how every other disease on earth (almost) is treated. But the only solution is actually to stop the medication. You can stick-handle it for a while, adding an earlier dose, increasing the dose, but eventually you will have to stop the medication to resolve the problem of continually worsening symptoms.

Even doctors are unaware of augmentation. So you as a patient have to be aware - no one else will be looking out for you.

The second point made by Holland and Betty is that you should get your iron status checked, as well as your ferritin. There is a paper you should print off and discuss with your neurologist - there's a link in my signature page , the 2018 consensus guidelines on treating RLS with iron. This is VERY important because some people can avoid medication altogether by getting the right iron treatment. Also, if you do have to continue taking Sifrol, augmentation is less likely if your iron stores are good - indicated somewhat poorly but better than nothing by a ferritin level above 100. (A better way of putting it is that a ferritin level below say 50 shows that you definitely have a problem somewhere with low iron stores - in some part of the body, even if the level of iron in your blood is good.)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Thivea

Post by Thivea »

Thank you, everyone. Your sharings are informative and very helpful.
Yes, augmentation is a real worry. I am reading with interest all your sharing and other relevant materials.
My blood iron level is above 100. Will talk to the Dr about the IV Iron possibilities. So that i can keep the dosage low or avoid drugs if can.

badnights

Post by badnights »

in case you need to be clear, both iron and ferritin concentrations can be measured in our blood. Ferritin is a protein that stores iron. It is present in every tissue of our bodies, including the blood. It is measured in WED/RLS because low values in the blood (below about 75 nanograms per millilitre) suggest problems with iron storage somewhere in the body. For people without WED/RLS, ferritin concentrations can be as low as 20 or less without much problem, so many labs report concentrations of 30 as "normal".

Iron is not ferritin. Ferritin is a protein molecule; iron is the element iron. Most of the iron in our bodies is in hemoglobin, inside our red blood cells; that amount not measured in the serum iron lab. What is measured is the amount of iron in the serum (the liquid part of the blood). Normal concentrations are roughly 60 to 170 nanograms per millilitre.

You have the best possible attitude for managing the disease - you're learning as much as you can, you' re investigating iron treatment, and know to keep doses as low as possible if you do have to use medications. I hope it all comes together for you :)
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Thivi

Post by Thivi »

Dear moderator, truly appreciate your insights. I am carefully monitoring my situation. In my previous visit to the neurologist, when I enquired about IV iron, she avoided the discussion. I am planning to print the above and share the key points with her during my next visit. Hope she will show interest to discuss. If not, I may need to explore other doctors.

I am glad that I found this discussion forum... many of the information here are new to me and never discussed by doctors I consulted before. Thank you.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Your doctor may not be aware of the 2018 guidelines to treatment of WED/RLS with iron. The paper is the second one in the page linked to in my signature. If you have access to a printer, it might be a good idea to download and print it, and offer it to your doctor next appointment. On the other hand, s/he may be well aware of it and you may not be a good candidate for infusions for some reason that s/he could explain to you.