need RLS doc

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Kfryk1

need RLS doc

Post by Kfryk1 »

I am new to this forum and so happy to have found this site. I have had RLS at least 10 years, but lately I've required more ropinerol to control the symptoms. My doctor put me on Neupro but the side effects (nausea, headache and general malaise) where horrible so I quit and have been taking more of the ropinerol. My symptoms have been starting earlier, are much more intense and sometimes during the day. I feel like a need a doc to help me get off the ropinerol but my neurologist doesn't seem to know much about RLS. I have Kaiser but can't find a doc that specializes in RLS so I'd like to find a consultant outside Kaiser in the SF Bay Area. Anyone know someone?

Rustsmith

Re: need RLS doc

Post by Rustsmith »

Your symptoms sound a great deal like augmentation, which means that you need to get off of the ropinerole very soon.

The Stanford Sleep Center is one of the RLS Foundation Quality Care Centers, so that is your best bet. They can help you with your augmentation and get you onto a new med that is not a dopamine agonist (ropinerole, Neupro or pramipexole). But be prepared, this next med is most likely going to be an opioid.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I would suggest that you read up on our Augmentation Forum. See how others have coped coming off a dopamine agonist i.e. ropinerole. As you read and learn you will be in a better position to understand and to ask questions when you do see a doctor.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

There are also a lot of detailed stories in the Prescription forum, dating from before the creation of the Augmentation forum. Try searching for "augmentation".

Also, arming yourself with information will help you in all your dealings with doctors, because the more you know, the better you can communicate with them. The Foundation publishes a very good guide, called RLS Medical Bulletin for Healthcare Professionals. In the page linked to my signature, there are instructions on how to get it. There are also I think 4 other brochures that deal with augmentation.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.