going "cold turkey"

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
ViewsAskew

Re: going "cold turkey"

Post by ViewsAskew »

retiredfg5 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:19 pm
I'm back. It's been a while but II have need of some advice. As part of my follow-up of my sleeve gastrectomy (2 years post op on10/14/21, lost 100 pounds) my provider always orders a boatload of lab tests. 2 of the tests that were abnormal were the pTH and iron. The iron is the one I really have questions about. In October my iron was 71 with a range of 50-170. So I doubled my iron tablets and now my iron is down to 45. IBC is 269 with a range of 250-450 and it was 300 in October. So when we discussed doubling the iron my provider indicated the significance that iron has on RLS. So, with these numbers should I be pushing for an iron infusion?
The pTH on the other hand was too high, the result now is 85 with a range of 18-80, and it was 89.7. Since this affects the calcium level which affects this and that, I'm wondering about these muscle spasms I'm having in my leg. My right upper leg, namely the large muscle in the front will have really strong spasms, like it nearly lifts me up off the chair. It does this occasionally at any time but is more often in late morning when my restless leg breaks through. What's with this muscle spasm? Is it connected with my restless legs or not?
As an update, all my surgical wounds healed, the last to heal was the open wound on my left foot, which took 7 months of going to the wound clinic weekly. So it's been healed about 3 months now, I even started going back to the YWCA. Then last week I went to the clinic's nurse who does toenail trimming and callus care. He got a little carried away because I'm scheduled back to wound care this afternoon. Oh yes, and I have cellulitis in that same leg. Hoping this New Year is much improved for all of you.
So sorry you didn't hear from any of us.

To know more about the iron, did your provider have a serum ferritin test run? If not, ask for that. It's important to know to determine next steps.

I haven't a clue about muscle spasms - my guess is that it isn't related...but I certainly do not know.

How is your wound healing?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.