Itching

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Jerker

Itching

Post by Jerker »

I just joined and am itching to find out if anyone else has experienced what I have? I've been taking dopamine agonists for probably 15 years and find requip to be the most reliable in controlling my rls. Last August I had total knee replacement surgery and feared that jerking might compromise my early stage recovery so I switched to a 10mg. time release patch called Neupro. It was expensive but effective. However, I immediately developed severe itching over my entire body. My wife, who is a nurse practitioner, guessed I might have an allergy to the adhesive in the patch so I discontinued it as soon as the knee felt stable and returned to requip. But the ithcing never stopped. So maybe I had developed an allergy to the requip. An allergist referred me to a dermatologist. Her recommendation has had no affect. She suggested the itching could be caused by narcotics I took briefly after surgery or, perhaps, even a reaction to the new metal in my knee.
I anyone else has severe itching associated with rls I could rule out some of the other possibilities. Jerker

stjohnh

Re: Itching

Post by stjohnh »

Welcome Jerker, sorry you have to be here, but glad you found this forum. I don't recall anyone complaining of persistent itching in the circumstances you decribe. Neupro is widely know to cause rashes and itching at the site of application, indeed, more than 1/3 of people using Neupro stop because of rashes. However, the ordinary rash from Neupro stops itching a few days after removing the patch. Maybe someone else has an idea.
Blessings,
Holland

Polar Bear

Re: Itching

Post by Polar Bear »

Did you switch to the Neupro before your surgery. Just wondering at what stage the itching started with regard to elimination.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation