New and hoping for input on treatment

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
nightcat

Re: New and hoping for input on treatment

Post by nightcat »

Thank you, Beth! Lyrica is definitely helping the symptoms, but my poor brain...

I got some new IRON TESTING results, and I think they warrant consideration for iron infusion treatment. I'd be grateful for some feedback.

EDITED just now, though: I realize these numbers may not be relevant. I was not fasting for the blood test. :roll:

Ferritin was 112 three years ago, but now it is 71.

Iron (serum) is 49. (ug/dL)
Transferrin is 269. (mg/dL)
If I understand correctly, "TSAT% is usually calculated from the Iron level and transferrin level. The formula is TSAT%=(Iron/transferrin)X70.9." So TSAT% is 12.9% But I'm not sure what to do with this number.

Thanks for anyone who can shed light on that.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

nightcat wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 2:36 am

I got some new IRON TESTING results, and I think they warrant consideration for iron infusion treatment. I'd be grateful for some feedback.

EDITED just now, though: I realize these numbers may not be relevant. I was not fasting for the blood test. :roll:

Ferritin was 112 three years ago, but now it is 71.

Iron (serum) is 49. (ug/dL)
Transferrin is 269. (mg/dL)
If I understand correctly, "TSAT% is usually calculated from the Iron level and transferrin level. The formula is TSAT%=(Iron/transferrin)X70.9." So TSAT% is 12.9% But I'm not sure what to do with this number.

Thanks for anyone who can shed light on that.
Your iron tests are in line with the guidelines recommendations (ferritin<100 and TSAT%<45) so per the guidelines, you should get IV Iron asap. Be sure to get Injectafer brand of iron, the other forms of IV Iron have not been as reliable in helping RLS patients.

The fact that you were not fasting is irrelevent in this case. A fasting test would just show slightly lower ferritin.
Blessings,
Holland

nightcat

Post by nightcat »

I'm so grateful for the information, Holland. We're out here alone with this bizarre ailment. To have access to the knowledge and experience here is a great gift.

Thank you also for relieving my worry about the non-fasting test. My heart sank at first! I will pursue treatment and keep my hopes up.

mfh5

Post by mfh5 »

nightcat wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:43 pm
I'm so grateful for the information, Holland. We're out here alone with this bizarre ailment. To have access to the knowledge and experience here is a great gift.

Thank you also for relieving my worry about the non-fasting test. My heart sank at first! I will pursue treatment and keep my hopes up.
Hi Nightcat,

Did you had IV iron? Any feedback/improvement?

Thanks.