Decades of RLS getting worse

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Roy

Re: Decades of RLS getting worse

Post by Roy »

Hi Rustsmith,
I tried methadone a few years ago but it affected my bedroom performance, so I didn't use it for long. Might that have been a short-term issue, and worthy of another attempt? I just tried 'morphine sulf ER" (15mg 2/day) and the first night was unsuccessful: legs (and hand) that demanded movement while the rest of me demanded sleep. I'll give it a few more days.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Roy, I had issues with methadone causing depression. As it turns out, methadone can reduce testosterone production in men. I finally figured this out on my own (my doctors were of no help other than suggesting seeing a psychiatrist, who only wanted to give me anti-depressants). I went to a mens health clinic that tested me and found that my free testosterone was too low. I felt much better after just the first injection. I have been on it for a year now. My depression is gone and I have much more interest in bedroom activities. The clinic does blood tests quarterly to adjust my dosage. I chose to do self-injections, so I give myself a shot in the thigh every four days. The alternative was to go in to have them give me an injection once/week.

So, my suggestion is to get your testosterone levels checked, both free and total if you decide to go back onto methadone.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Roy wrote:What benefits might a drug holiday bring? I understand the "costs": pain getting off oxy, risking further augmentation, pharmacy/doc hassles, but unclear about the benefit it might bring.
Hi sorry I'm so late getting back. The benefit would be to eliminate any dependence you've developed for the medication & re-start with a clean slate, enabling a lower dose to cover your symptoms, thereby eliminating the jitteryness, which appears as the medication wears off. It would only work if the jitteryness is a daily withdrawal, an effect of physical dependence (not to be confused with addiction). I should have been clearer about that.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.