New replacement and rls!

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Jmiskell24

New replacement and rls!

Post by Jmiskell24 »

I am an rls sufferer and will be getting a knee replacement soon has anyone had this done and did it help or hinder your rls ??

Polar Bear

Re: New replacement and rls!

Post by Polar Bear »

I have not had a knee replacement but would think that it wouldn't make much difference either way. It may be that someone who has had this surgery will have a different view as they speak from experience.
Good luck with your surgery, you will have something less to cope with.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

Ditto, I have had knee surgeries but not replacements. But as far as I know, it does not have a lasting effect on WED/rLS symptoms, either good or bad. However, the surgery itself can make symptoms temporarily worse. The Foundation makes two pamphlets that you should access and read: Surgery and RLS for the Patient, and Hospitalization Checklist for the Patient with RLS. You can access them at https://www.rls.org/member-portal/publications under Advanced Information and Special Concerns. See the link in my signature if you're not a member of the Foundation .
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Nynightwalker

Post by Nynightwalker »

Hi! I’ve had several surgeries on one knee. Replaced, revision, new replacement, infection and gastroc flap. Aka ..knee surgery gone wrong. That was 2 1/2 yrs ago. Still battling with it. I’m sitting in the bathroom as I type hoping that soaking my feet would help me tonight. It’s not! I can’t take much more of this . My RLS didn’t change any from the surgeries. The only problem I had was no more stomping of the foot or pacing around they house. Kind of hard to do with a bum knee. I do have to say tho, that I’ve been taking pain meds thru all this and they help my legs. But, they are also weaning me off them , which has increased my RLS. I now have it in my arms which is a real treat. My neuro doc says augmentation going on and I should cut down on my Mirapex. Easy for him to say.
Oops sorry for rambling on. Bad night!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

You say you are soaking your feet. Have you tried putting your feet and lower legs into a bucket of really cold water. As deep as you can and splashing the water up as high as you can. Up to your knees. This helps me. It takes about 15 minutes for my legs to calm. The water only feels freezing to start with, you get used to it.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I had a knee replacements with both knees. My RLS got worse during this period. I was also in the middle of changing meds for the RLS. I had augmented with Mirapex. A few months later I started methadone which worked so much better.