First Post

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
slateman

First Post

Post by slateman »

Reading the messages posted by others in the different forums has me crying as I recognize myself in so many symptoms talked about. As an 8 year both my grandmothers complained when it my turn to sleep in their bed how I kicked them all night long. In my forties the sensations in my legs first became noticeable but would disappear for long stretches and I was convinced it was work related stress or just in my head. Got married and my now ex complained of my constant movement. I'm 63 now and this curse has become a daily battle as both my arms and legs are affected and I feel I'm losing. I only figured out what I had 2 months ago and found a neurologist who agreed and I'm on 600 mg of gabapentin up to 4 times a day. My symptoms usually start around 4pm. The gabapentin helps but timing the dosage is a guessing game. During registration for this forum when describing my reasons for joining I misused the word augmentation so please disregard that description of my situation.

Rustsmith

Re: First Post

Post by Rustsmith »

Slateman, I am happy that you found us but very sad that you had to.

Yes, adjusting both the dose and the timing of our meds is a guessing game. We are all very different when it comes to which meds work, how well they work and how long they remain effective.

And if you haven't seen this already, gabapentin is notorious its variability from day to day. It is often adsorbed by the gut one day and almost not at all the next. That is why they developed Horizant (which becomes gabapetin once in the bloodstream), but Horizant isn't available in generic form yet (not until at least 2029), so it can be very expensive when compared to most of the other RLS meds.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.