RLS and bladder spasm treatment using PTNS

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
juliegrojean

RLS and bladder spasm treatment using PTNS

Post by juliegrojean »

I am wondering if anyone has ever had Percutaneous Tibial Nerve Stimulation for overactive bladder, and if it affected your RLS in anyway? My Urologist seems to think this treatment, which stimulates the nerve connecting to the bladder, would be a good option for my bladder spasms. A needle electrode is connected above the ankle and connected to a stimulator, so the sensation goes up the leg to the bladder. However, I want to make sure that it won't make my RLS worse or act up. (When I had a knee replacement, it made my RLS worse). This PTNS treatment happens once a week for 12 weeks and has a high percentage of curing or improvement. Thanks for any input.

Polar Bear

Re: RLS and bladder spasm treatment using PTNS

Post by Polar Bear »

I don't know if the PTNS treatment would affect your RLS. However if your overactive bladder symptoms are sufficient to require treatment I (if it was me) would go with it and get help to treat any extra RLS symptoms for the 12 weeks that it lasts.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Surgery often does make symptoms worse. Since this isn't surgery, I don't think it would be the same. But, just a guess.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

This sounds like a question that is best directed to a doctor that specializes in RLS, such as a doctor at one of the Foundation Quality Care Clinics.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.