Starting Opioids

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Ann S F

Starting Opioids

Post by Ann S F »

I have been on ropinirole and developed augmentation. I did not tolerate Horizant and had to stop. I have symptoms when I wake up, in the afternoon and only sleep from about 10 pm to 1 or 2 am. My dr wants to start me on a combination oxycodone 5 mg and naloxone 2 mg twice a day. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this? I'm nervous but need some sleep and some hope.

Polar Bear

Re: Starting Opioids

Post by Polar Bear »

I augmented on a much too high dose of ropinerole. Slowly weaned off the ropinerole.
I have not used the drugs you mention (I am in the UK) however currently my rls symptoms are manageable using cocodamol (low dose opioid) and pregabalin, both at the max daily dose. My pregabalin is actually prescribed for neuropathy but also is of benefit to my rls.
It can be difficult to find a doctor who understands the benefits of opioids to treat rls and it sounds like your doctor is willing to take that route. Have you never tried an opioid before. is this your fear. The correct opioid at the correct dose will almost certainly help with your symptoms.

Also have you had your ferritin serum checked, not normally done in a general blood check, and you need to ask for it. Normal level can be considered around 20 but us rls sufferers want to be up at around 75, perhaps nearer 100.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Ann S F

Post by Ann S F »

I'm nervous about side effects such as daytime sleepiness and feeling foggy. I had terrible side effects on gabapentin encarble. My iron has increased from 54 to 78. I went to the pharmacy today and they don't carry what the dr ordered so I will have to see what is next tomorrow.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, we all fear the side effects of any meds we take and unfortunately the only way we know is if we try them.
Well done on your iron increase.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

DoylePadilla

Post by DoylePadilla »

Indeed, White Bear (Admin) is right, until we try, we will not understand what the side effects are and whether they are at all.