Maxed out on requip.

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Gerryp

Maxed out on requip.

Post by Gerryp »

I have suffered for years and I take 8-10 mg of requip a day. Off and on I still have symptoms. I’m convinced that if I never started the meds I would be better off. Looking for suggestions

Polar Bear

Re: Maxed out on requip.

Post by Polar Bear »

I am so sorry to hear that you are taking 8 - 10 mg Requip daily, this is a massive dose. The first thing that comes to mind is that your doctor knows very lttle about the treatment of RLS. Often a doctor will keep increasing the dosage which may help for a short time, symptoms then get worse, medication is increased again... etc. . The patient has augmented.
The RLS experts will say that the daily max of Requip should be 1mg. Anything higher than that and you are heading for augmentation.

You will have to come off the Requip, weaning very carefully to avoid Withdrawal Syndrome. Weaning under the care of a doctor who will know what he is doing. You will also need the support of other medication/s to help deal with the increased RLS symptoms as you come off the Requip. It will be a very difficult journey with little sleep.
Please read through our Augmentation Forum.

Have you had your Ferritin Serum level checked, this is very important and you need to know what your number is. Do not just accept that your reading is 'normal'. A level of 20 may be considered normal but an RLS sufferer does best with a level of up around 100.

Please see the link in my signature with regard to the treatment of RLS. This is very useful for discussion with your doctor.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation