Struggling

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Smileycarr79

Struggling

Post by Smileycarr79 »

Hello—not sure where to start but just joined this group in hopes of connecting with others experiencing the same thing I am going through. I am 44 years old and I have RLS and my symptoms are worsening and taking over my daily life. I struggle with restless legs and arms and sometimes tremors in my hands and sometimes my legs will just feel like jello and I’m limping around. A lot of times resting and moving my legs just hurts and I can find no comfort. I haven’t slept in a couple nights. I started on pramipexole three years ago and then was changed to ropinole. My doctor has tried gabapentin and Lyrica and neither worked. I finally got into a neurologist and he has had me taking sinemet and stalevo. While it provided some relief—it would wear off after a couple hours and started causing horrible chest pains when I took the meds. Now my neurologist has me weaning off the stalevo and sinemet and just taking a muscle relaxer that so far is not doing anything. I feel like the last couple years I’ve been going through hell. I’m a teacher and this condition impacts my teaching. My doctor has been suspecting Parkinson’s but the neurologist is thinking just restless limb syndrome. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to stop pacing all night and get the pain under control? I’ve tried hot showers, deep tissue massager, all kinds of stuff and I just feel hopeless and lost. Currently pacing in my kitchen as my left leg is jerking all around and feeling like a pull/tug on it. Hoping everyone else gets a good nights rest!

ViewsAskew

Re: Struggling

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Smileycarr79 - welcome to the board. I was about your age when everything started to spin out of control with me and the WED/RLS. I am so sorry that you are in this position. I taught, for a while, also, and I know how hard it is when you are in such a place.

Have you heard of augmentation? I would just about bet that this is the issue. There are long helpful topics/posts about it in several areas here. Please, please - do a search on the term and start reading. It will hopefully be the start of a new chapter for you.

May I ask where you are located (not the town, but the general larger area)? That will help us help you better.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.