Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar »

Happy to be a part of this group. RLS is very lonely in the middle of the night when we have to continually get up and move around, I start to get a little nuts. I'm a lifelong member of RLS and have noticed it is getting worse as I get older (64 now). Have tried all meds that might work but all have failed. Currently on Oxycontin ER which seems to be helping but too soon to be sure. Just ended a 3 day nightmare with a total of 3 hours of sleep.

Rustsmith

Re: New Member

Post by Rustsmith »

Welcome to the group. If you read through a number of our discussions, you will see that many of us have failed the dopamine agonists through augmentation and that iron therapy and gabapentin/Horizant/Lyrica did not work for us.

Most of these members are either taking oxycontin ER, methadone or buprenorphine, which as all opioids. Many have been taking these successfully for many years (as many as 20) with only minor adjustments in dose.

As for age, it is an unfortunate fact that RLS gets worse with age for almost all of us.

As for bad nights, we have all had them so we know what you have been going through. I personally have had two experiences where I could not sleep at all for a week. By the end of each week, I was completely useless and was becoming a danger to myself. I now understand what I need to do when that happens again (an increase in dose and soaking my legs in hot water every time I wake up).
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.