ceremonial new guy post

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Anonymous

ceremonial new guy post

Post by Anonymous »

It seems like the thing to do when you first stumble onto this forum is to make a post on this thread, so I'll do mine!

I am a 19 year old male college kid with a lifetime history of insomnia, which I recently pinpointed RLS as the main contributor after years after psychiatrists coming up with psychological reasons I couldn't sleep, like anxiety or depression.

Basically I find that RLS is most troublesome when sitting but during the day it doesn't effect my life.. only at night I awaken constantly.. I usually wake up and punch my calves out until theyre numb and I roll over and go back to sleep.

I find that sleeping on my arms or on my stomach with my arms under my pillow makes it the easiest to fall asleep.. because when im on my back my legs twitch myself awake.

Well here begins my journey to conquer my RLS.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hey, welcome, "Ack".

Your ceremonial first post was well done. :lol: Sorry you have RLS, but at least glad you found out what it was relatively young. I know I had it in my late teens, probably earlier (I had some sleep problems, too), but I didn't happen to hear about it until in my 30s.

There are lots of different folks here with lots of different levels of RLS. You'll probably get some ideas from them, and thanks for already posting your comments over on the non-pharm thread about marijuana. Not an option I'd personally been willing to coinsider, but interesting to hear your first-hand experiences with it. :D

You hang in there. Hopefully now that you know what you're dealing with, you can get better professional help than you have in the past.

Sara :D

becat

Love it

Post by becat »

Well Ack or Trap ...............
Love the first post and Welcome.
You've been welcomed by our Miss Sara, a wonderful woman in my book.
And she's right......uuuufffffaaaa your doctors were all wrong. RLS is in your head, not in a mental way.... :)
We've got a wonderful group of fellow RLS students here with you.....all of us are learning everyday how to live and cope with RLS.
Read all you can, there are some awesome words of wisdom inside these post. A good RLS education is the best defense. Know your facts and know the treatments. The more you know the better able your are to make choices the treatments offered.
Just wanted to say I love the title and welcome. Look forward to hearing about your journey. Young eyes are never a bad thing to have.
Feel free to jump into any conversation anytime.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hi Ack!

Welcome! Your first post was awesome! I know about the punching til your numb as well!

You've been welcomed by two of the best people here and there are so many many more!!!!

Vent, share, and never ever let a Dr. tell you that it's all made up....or anyone else for that matter

Penguin
Beware the Penguin

Post by Guest »

Hi Trap! Welcome to the message board! Just wondering if you've gone to a neurologist for your rls yet? If not, that might be a place to start. Haven't read your post about mary jane so I don't know if you say it helps or not. But sounds like if you're having to punch your legs to numbness, just to get to sleep, it may not be working! :? There are meds out there that are safe and can help. It's just a matter of finding the right drug or combination of drugs. Good luck in your search and see you around the board! :D

Audrey

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

You arrived at a wonderful place, Good for you! Sending many postive thoughts of energy on your journey. Discovering RLS at 52 has certainly helped my mental stability! Hopefully the information I gather will help my daughter who is in her 20s. Hazel