having a sleep study done this month

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
jlb1477

having a sleep study done this month

Post by jlb1477 »

I went to my family doctor about my continual leg pain, she suggested a complete blood work done to see if it was caused by anything abnormal, but my test all turned out to be fine...i then saw the ads on television about the rls symptoms and most of them agreed with what i go through. so i got the website to the rls foundation and did some research about it. i went ahead and printed off some of the information for my doctor to read at my next visit. she then told me that if that is what i may have i would need to do a sleep study, plus get me check out for sleep apnea..is sleep apnea common to go along with rls...I didnt think it would be...but hey im not the doctor.

thanks for the information and the great message board
jamie

trevb

Post by trevb »

hmmm good question!

the sleepcentre site seem to link PLMD (periodic limb movements disorder) with sleep apnoea... did you say to your dr you think you may have plmd cos maybe thats why the drs thinking this way?

http://www.sleepcentre.com.au/sdrc/sd-legs.php -"What is Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD)?
Like RLS, PLMD is another sleep disorder that affects the limbs as well as a sufferer’s ability to get a good night’s sleep. While RLS movements are a voluntary response to unpleasant sensations in the limbs whilst awake, the movements of PLMD are involuntary and felt most when the sufferer is asleep.PLMD may accompany obstructive sleep apnoea, narcolepsy and insomnia, and is quite common in people with RLS. "

i know there are a couple of members who have talked about slep apnoea and thier rls but i cant find the posts!!! anyone help me out with that.

otherwise i cant seem to think of any link?
welcome

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

PLMD is much more common than RLS! That's because people with many other disorders get PLMD and PLMD doesn't always cause sleep disturbances. 20% of the people with PLMD have RLS, while 80% of the people with RLS have PLMD.

Jamie and Trev, there are some good links about PLMD in the Welcome sticky:

Follow this path:
-New to RLS? section
-Links to Educate and Inform

From there, I think at least two links provide information specific to PLMD.

People with apnea often do have PLMD, but again, there are so many causes of PLMD that apnea is not the only possibility. Hope that made some sense :roll: .

In terms of your question, Jamie, I don't know of any link of apnea and RLS, but someone else might. I think that the doctors always want a sleep study to rule out apnea because it can be fatal if untreated. In the end, some people with RLS have apnea, but I doubt if the rate is higher than in the general population. Being overweight and snoring would more likely be an indicator based on the little I know.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

IMHO

When I went to the neurologist to discuss RLS ... he scheduled a sleep study for sleep apnea... And really did not discuss RLS. I am finding after dr visits and discussions with others I have found who suffer from RLS, in this rural area doctors regardless of their specialty are not all that familiar with RLS except in a general interpretation.

It may be that they assign the purpose of the study as sleep apnea for insurance purposes. It is my understanding that regardless of what the stated purpose of the study it will detect PLMD, sleep apnea and/or RLS. Am I understanding this correctly?

Once again Anne thanks for a cut and paste for my general file... I am taking some simple terms with me to the drs appt friday morning. lately, for my sanity, I had to take some time for introspective reflection and detachment from this manic search for *healing*. Your description of RLS, PLMD is something that helps my understanding of what I need to express.

Healing thoughts to all of you, Hazel

becat

Hi

Post by becat »

Hi everyone,
Hazel you often write things that make me rethink how I view my own RLS life. Thank you for your eyes and willingness to share your thoughts.
I only asked for a sleep study just this last month. My thoughts were that it's never proven helpful for RLS itself, but like Ann, felt like it did show other potential problems.
In my own case I was worried that the pain medication was really causing a breathing problem. I'm not about to give up the pain meds, so I needed to know if I needed help with that a night (ha ha ) while sleeping.
What came out of this sleep study was something I hadn't thought of before. I was able to prove that my sleep was not healing. I was able to prove or backup my own story of waking and not being able to go back to sleep. I gave my doc a perfect example of my sleep habits. It was like having gold in my file.
I don't feel like I have to prove anything to him anymore.......does that make sense? So much of RLS is invisible until your just too worn out to function or other health problem rise up and take over. This was a freeing thing to let him see results. Which all doctors like.......test and result!
I might have had more PMLD if the pain meds didn't work, so for me he thought that this was a plus.
I know how hard it is to find a doctor that listens. It took me years even after I had facts. I live in a big metro are, so go figure, but the fact is that RLS is really not widely known.
Your doing the right thing by taking in articles for him to learn from. Not seeing it yet, you've already help those that come after you. Hang in there Hazel, your education will serve you well.
Hugs to ya.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hazel, glad to hear from you. I was thinking about you the other day - I hadn't seen a post from you and was hoping you were still with us. Hope that the next visit goes better. This is truly the hardest part. Once you find someone who will listen, even if they don't know much, you will find yourself in a much better place. I hope that it occurs soon.

Intersting idea about the insurance. I know that the nurses often struggle for the right code when I go for visits. If something can be listed more than one way, the nurses/doctors try to list the reason/code that won't be denied or questioned. But in looking for apnea, is it possible that they don't do as good of a job of finding other problems?

If administered correctly, a sleep study will find PLMD regardless of why they are doing the study. BUT, there are problems with getting a good study. PLMs are a common problem with apnea, for example. So, when I had my first study, as soon as the tech saw the PLM and the arousal, he immediately assumed I had apnea. He put on a mask and I didn't sleep the rest of the night. Total sleep: 46 minutes.

The person who reviewed the study was able to see that the oxygen levels did not change and that the arousals were from the PLMs. They didn't record all that many because they woke me to put the darn mask on. The tech and I had talked before the study and he was convined he was saving the world from apnea. He knew all about the different masks and how to fit people. He wanted to cure apnea, so he found in it me!

But, basically you're right. RLS cannot be determined from a sleep study. PLMD can. And PLMD can be determined from a general sleep study regardless of what they think you have.

OK. I'm definitely rambling. Time to say goodnight.

Ann

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ksxroads

Sleep Study

Post by ksxroads »

Thanks for good info for my sleep study folder.... beginning to organize the RLS folder on my computer helps when I am franticly in need of I read that some where attacks ...

Decided I was going to stick with Dr. Hodges as he was the only one who seemed to not capsulize what I was saying to him. My vehicle wouldn't start friday morning, BUT there was nothing that was going to stop me from keeping this appointment.

After some initial panic and plenty of praying got the truck on the road.

My appt was at 10:30, I got out of his office around 12:15.
He had reviewed all my previous records, labs, scans, etc and all were within normal ranges. Since everything seems to rule out thyroid anemia etc, he said it is possible that it is fibromyalgia, as well as RLS.

He actually read and discussed with me everything I brought. (Taking Anne's advice I kept it to several short paragraphs on three to four pages) He said I am not going to say I know how to treat you, yet if we work together we can find what works for you. We went over all the non pharm. ways I have been coping and then the medications others have used from what I have gleaned from this site. Decided to start with continuing to take ativan 0.5 3x a day, use ibprofen whenever possible, then lora tab 5s to use when I experience *pain break through*.

My DH will be coming home later this month and Dear Dr. Hodges *BG* said we would wait to begin additional meds, treatments, to continue journaling, printing out useful info from this website and others etc, maybe schedule sleep study sometime, but thought we would just try to give my body and brain some rest from appts... when Will is back home, we would consider the sleep study other meds if needed etc when I had someone to be there to help support me physically and mentally. bless him.

That in it self was the placebo I needed! hahahaha

Have missed checking in with everyone. Hope to catch up soon.

******Positive Energy****** Hazel

becat

Awesome

Post by becat »

Hazel,
I'm so happy that your doc said he'd work with you. That is worth it's weight in gold. Wow, gotta love a doc that doesn't know everything and admits it too. LOL
I'm sorry to hear about the possible fibro, but several others here also have that. So the info will be gladly shared among you all.
Car trouble must be in the air.......I'm like you after you wait for so long for an appt., your going no matter what.
Your positive energy is seen and noted in your posting around here. I for one am glad you found the site. It's a joy to read your writing and get to know you.
Hugs.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Brought two oars with me today, stirring up that hope does work!

Finding a doctor who acknowledges that the medical community does not have all the answers AND is willing to work with you on creating a treatment protocal is a Godsend. Dr. Hodges actually told me that by working with me he will be able to help others who come to his practice.

While he is still focused on fibromyalgia primarily, RLS is very much a factor in my equation.

I have been truly blessed to have found this site! You are all truly angels.

Hazel

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hazel, it is truly wonderful that you found such a doctor. I am so happy for you. I think your oar is powerful and magical. Keep holding onto it and keep dipping it into the waters here as needed for the rest of us.

Ann

Managing Your RLS