I Think I Have RLS/New Here

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
confirmednightowl

I Think I Have RLS/New Here

Post by confirmednightowl »

This is the second attempt I am making to share my bit as it didn't take the first time :?

I thank God for leading me to this site as I think I am on to something based on what I have read before I decided to register and post.

The reason I feel I have RLS stems from the fact that I would fit into the criteria of the symptom list and what I have seen others make mention of.

Let me explain some and see if anyone out there can give me a clue:

I lay in bed needing to move my legs as they have this feeling I call being "stale." Even when they aren't stale, I have to move them in order to get a semblance of sleep. I have recently taken to kicking my legs together where the ankles meet. I have even been told that my legs move when I do get sleep! The jerking of my legs and other body parts affects me too, pulling me out of my sleep and sometimes scaring me.

I have this same feeling in my arms and have had my niece and my fiancee pull my arms and my legs to give a feeling of normalcy to them. This is during the day, by the way, so this feeling is not limited to just night movement. There is also a tingling sensation involved. Sometimes the feeling is so deep, I have to kick, pull and move about to alleviate.

So far, I have not disturbed my fiancee, yet, he has told me of the movements I make in what little sleep I get. I have ran and walked and kicked all while in bed!

I hope I haven't rambled so or described to specific, but I am looking for a reason to believe I am not only not alone, but maybe, just maybe, I am in the right place to give and receive support.

God bless you all for living with RLS on a daily basis. Know that He is with you. I know as He lead me here :D

Thanks to anyone who replies :D

confirmednightowl

jumpyowl

Sure sounds like it!

Post by jumpyowl »

As you see confirmednightowl both your post "took." Would you do us a favor and go to the other one, click on "edit" and the click on delete post. It will keep it easier to find you. You can do that as long as no one answered your post yet.

As you read other posts you will get good ideas. Almost sure that you have periodic limb movement disorder. This latter can be objectively diagnosed by a sleep study. If you have it at day time also and in other parts of the body, then it is fairly severe, so you should start to treat it. :roll:

Toughing it out is probably not a good idea as everyone needs a good night sleep! :)

The important thing is to find a doctor who understands the disease and is willing to treat it. When it is as severe as yours I would go with drug treatment.

Tell us, do you have pain? Muscle cramps? Have you had your ferritin plasma level checked yet? Are you anemic? Are you taking magnesium in addition to calcium? And how old are you? :oops: Does this run in your family?

Jumpy and also confirmed by a sleep lab. 8)
Jumpy Owl

Post by Guest »

Thank you for responding and for waiting on my reply. I'm planning my wedding and only come online every few days :D

Now, on to the relpy:

I looked about to see how to edit the post that did appear after I thought it hadn't, but I cannot figure out how. I looked under FAQ and saw the directions, yet there was no "edit" button to be found. Sorry. :oops:

Here are answers to your questions:

Tell us, do you have pain?

Sometimes, yes, there is pain. When it gets to my legs feeling really stale, it hurts. I have tried a variety of pain relievers with little help. As of this moment, I have not spoken to my doctor about this, but I have an appointment on the 14th and will be sure to mention it.

Muscle cramps?

And how! It's not very often, but when it hits, watch out! I attempt to stand up and alleviate the cramping, yet those spindly legs of mine don't always cooperate :?

Have you had your ferritin plasma level checked yet?

Would you kindly explain what this is...or should I mention it to my doctor?

Are you anemic?

No, thank God, nor diabetic, though I have been asked that question more than what my name is.

Are you taking magnesium in addition to calcium?

As mentioned above, I am on nothing at this time. I don't mean to come off as redundant, but I like to be thorough :)

And how old are you?

I am 36 years old :shock:

Does this run in your family?

No, it doesn't, though my Mom has some leg pain, I think it is something different.

Again, thanks for the reply. Be well and God Bless :D

jumpyowl

Dear Confirmed

Post by jumpyowl »

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! 8)

About the editing business. Edit button should be next to quote button on the title line. It probably does not show because your name does not show on the same line only as guest. However, I do not know why that happens. Thanks for trying it. I wish I could help.

Sometimes, yes, there is pain. When it gets to my legs feeling really stale, it hurts. I have tried a variety of pain relievers with little help. As of this moment, I have not spoken to my doctor about this, but I have an appointment on the 14th and will be sure to mention it.

Does this pain go away with movement? Typical RLS pain is different from nerve pain. It increases in time while the limb is motionless until one HAS TO move it.

Muscle cramps?

And how! It's not very often, but when it hits, watch out! I attempt to stand up and alleviate the cramping, yet those spindly legs of mine don't always cooperate.

That sounds like magnesium deficiency. Try magnesium maleate that even helps with sleeping (the maleic acid part).

Have you had your ferritin plasma level checked yet?

Would you kindly explain what this is...or should I mention it to my doctor?

Iron (ferrum) reserves are circulated in the blood plasma in the form of ferritin (ferric ions are also in haemoglobin.) If it is under 50, that is deficiency, and orally taken iron salts will be absorbed in the intestines. If you have enough iron then the absorption is very poor (1-3%). This is for your protection because too much iron is quite toxic. :shock:

Definitely, your doctor should have your blood checked for levels of ferritin, magnesium, potassium, phosphate, and possibly a few other things. I happen to be waiting for my lab results now. :?:

If you are not taking any supplement you may try magnesium possibly in the maleate or even in some other (oxide, carbonate) form. It may cause loose bowels if it is in the latter forms.

Thank you for revealing your age. Must be nice to be young! (everything is relative, especially age :P )

Just in case your doctor is one of those :roll: , do not let him prscribe for you antidepressants. They aggravate RLS.

A sleep test can be helpful as it provides objective proof of periodic limb movements and the frequency of near arousals, fraction of delta sleep, etc.
Jumpy Owl