Several years until diagnosis

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
UP person

Several years until diagnosis

Post by UP person »

I'm a 54 year old male. In the past few years my energy levels have been decreasing - I just assumed I was growing old. Around the New Years (2004) I begin to wake with a nasty headache. I assumed it was a sinus headache. Later in the day the headache came back and I felt tired and needed a nap. I went to the doctor. We went thru the standard sinus stuff. Eventually they took a sinus cat scan and found some polyps. The doctor assumed that was the source of the problem and referred me to an ear, nose and throat doctor at Mayo Clinic in Rchester, MN. The ENT doctor at Mayo asked me about my symptoms, looked at my cat scan, and put a scope in my nose. He then stated that I indeed have polyps, but he thought my problem was due to a possible sleep disorder. I spent the night at the sleep clinic. I had 140 leg movements in a 1-hour period! The sleep doctor gave me a pres. for mirapex. It helped quite a bit - I feel much better after 3 days.

jumpyowl

Diagnosis confirmed

Post by jumpyowl »

Polysomnograph can diagnose periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) objectively. RLS can only be diagnosed subjectively. Since RLS and PLMD are closely associated you probably have both. The fact that a nonergot dopamine agonist, Mirapex, helps, is a further confirmation that you have RLS.

So welcome among us, fellow sufferers! :)

What dose of Mirapex did he start you on? I am guessing 0.25 mg. :?:
Jumpy Owl

UP Person

Post by UP Person »

Yes, he started me on 0.25 mg. He said to increase it to 0.5 mg (two tablets) after 3 days, but I have not done that yet.

jumpyowl

Increase dose of Mirapex

Post by jumpyowl »

I requested an increase in Mirapex dosage after one week and they gave it to me.

Yes, they doubled the dose. I was getting some dulled paresthesia on the initial dose.

I would like to invite you to read my poll post on General Topics. I think that you could be a great potential distributor! :)
Jumpy Owl