help for mild RLS (I'm new)

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
RebeccaS

help for mild RLS (I'm new)

Post by RebeccaS »

Hi everyone. Just found this website. Here's my quick story:

Self-diagnosed myself with RLS at the young age of 15 (I am 26). Never had it actually confirmed by a doctor. It seems to have gotten worse in the last few months, probably since I've stopped breastfeeding my 10-month-old (and only child so far). Surprisingly, my RLS was not worse when I was pg. In the past I have taken muscle relaxers (don't remember what kind) that were originally prescribed to help me stop grinding my teeth at night. They seemed to help enough that I could sleep soundly. I believe my RLS is fairly mild. I don't experience actual pain, just restlessness and muscle discomfort. I'm afraid it will get worse the older I get. What are some non-pharmaceutical treatments/remedies I can try to help alleviate symptoms?
Rebecca

sardsy75

Welcome to the group!

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Rebecca :)

Welcome to our group! There are many wonderful people in this group who will be more than happy to offer advice, lend an "ear" or send a "cyberhug".

You asked about non-pharmaceutical treatments/remedies, so the first place i'm going to send you to is Jill Gunzel's RLS Rebel website at http://www.rlsrebel.com - a site which has some fantastic advice about how to combat RLS when you don't have (or have chosen not to have) any drugs to rely on. I have tried a lot of the techniques suggested and they DO work!

My own personal "top four" non-drug therapies for RLS are Massage, CranioSacral Therapy, long hot spa baths, and doing gentle leg stretches (just watch the stretching, there's a fine line between stretched and over-stretched!!).

Now, this may sound strange, but if you have a hobby that requires a lot of concentration this can also help when you are having a bad attack (i.e. "take your mind off it"). Doing cross-stitch, drawing/painting, scrapbooking, reading a really gripping novel, basically anything that requires you to concentrate will help stop you "thinking" about your legs.

Iron and Magnesium supplements may be helpful for you, but you should check with your GP as it is possible to over-supplement.

To help with your sleep at night you could try Valerian. It is a herb which helps the body to relax. It is Not a Sedative, but does help your system to wind down. It comes in many different strengths, 100mg - 2000mg and from my own experiences, I have found the stronger the better.

Finally, we are all here for you! Feel free to get in here and vent away at any time. Someone's ears will always be available for "gnawing" on! We know what you are going through. Keep us posted on your "journey" as we are all more than happy to offer advice and sympathy.

Take care of you :)

Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

RebeccaS

Post by RebeccaS »

Thank you Nadia! Those are some really great ideas. Sometime I will get up in the middle of the night when the RLS is really bothering me and do some leg stretches. That seems to help some. Maybe I will make it a regular routine right before bed.

Thanks again, and I will definitely check out that website.

BTW- I love the quote on your signature!
Rebecca

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

To add to Nadia's great suggestions, what worked for me for years was to do leg lifts just before bed, and in the middle of the night if RLS woke me up. Lying on one side, I do leg lifts slowly until my muscles are exhausted, then flip over and do the other side. I also do toe raises until my calves are maxed out. This would usually allow me to get back to sleep

This worked for my mild RLS, but unfortunately my RLS has progressed and it usually doesn't work anymore. Best of luck,

Heron

Sole

Post by Sole »

Nadia,

Thank you so much for posting that link! I got some rest for the first time in four nights!! On the site, she suggests "screaming louder than your legs" by concentrating on something else. I've done concentrating on things before but it was always on stuff I'd make up in my head and it didn't work at all. Last night, I put on music (usually I play sleep sounds that sound like static), good ol' 80's Monster Ballads and turned them up to a volume that would intentionally hold my attention and keep me awake. I didn't "try" to go to sleep. Instead, I got into my sleep position and mouthed every word to every song, trying NOT to sleep. I resisted the temptation to "check in" with my legs because the few times I did, there they were screaming at me and I refused to check in to see if I was getting sleepy enough to fall asleep. That wasn't a hard one because I KNEW how sleepy I was, not having slept for four nights. So I just laid there and mouthed all of my favorite songs. That was about 2am. I must have laid there for a good hour and the next thing I knew, it was 7am. Woo-hoo!! So I did the opposite of what I usually do...trying to lay still, keep things quiet, etc. and it worked! I was so relieved this morning. How silly it must seem, to the rest of the world, to find such happiness and relief in 4 hours of sleep. :-) Anyway, thanks again for posting that link. I think I might actually attempt a nap today, as I'm still very exhausted.

sole

sardsy75

Thats Great News Sole

Post by sardsy75 »

Sole! :)

I am SO glad to hear that you found a "combat strategy" that evenutally scored you 4 hours sleep! Way to go!

BTW, I'm glad I'm not the only one who still thinks that 80's music is better than the current stuff!! I've found sometimes that there's nothing like a good dose of Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, KISS, Gunners, AC/DC etc to take your mind off things ... and still know all the words to have a good singalong too :D

Am I a sad case or what :roll:

What can I say....I'm a true 80's child!!

Here's to you getting some more rest! You deserve it!

Take care of you!
Lotsa (((((HUGGLES)))))
Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

becat

ok stop it

Post by becat »

I though the 80's hair bands were good..........doesn't everyone. :lol:
Sorry have this fight with my teenagers all the time...just love it.