teenage rls

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
jami

teenage rls

Post by jami »

I am 14 years old and I think I have RLS. The last couple weeks it has taken over an hour and a half to fall asleep and then I would wake up about 2 hours later and not fall back to sleep for another hour and then sleep late into the morning. Last night I had an extreme episode. I tried to fall asleep around 10:30, and ended up not falling asleep for more than three hours. I couldn't get comfortable in my bed and it was extremely frustrating because I was exhausted and knew I had to get up early today. I could not understand why I couldn't just lie down and drift off to sleep. At one point I forced myself and tried to figure out what was happening, and I felt a weird tingling in my legs. I had to move again. I couldn't lie still as much as I wanted. So I was getting up over and over, going to the bathroom, walking around my room, fixing my pillows, cleaning my room, just moving. that's what i usually do when I wake up in the middle of the night. but this was so severe I hadn't slept at all yet and it was 1 am. at one point I guess I fell asleep but I didn't even know it. I looked at the clock again and four hours had passed but I didn't feel any more rested. It was 5:30 then and I had to get up in an hour. I tried to fall asleep again... I could lay still longer but still couldn't sleep. I was still wide awake when my alarm went off.

I am so frustrated and exhausted. I'm afraid to even try to go to sleep again. I did a search on teen insomnia and found a sleep disorder website where I read about restless legs and it sounds like I have it... should I talk to my doctor or what?

sardsy75

Welcome to the Group!

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Jami :)

Well, you've taken the first step of acknowledging that you possibly have a major problem and need a resolution ... good on you!!

Should you see your doctor? Definitely! If you already have a good relationship with your family doctor then he/she should be more than willing to help you out.

If you are not sure about seeing your doctor by yourself, by all means, take a family member with you. They can often be a huge help, sometimes without realising it, as they may be able to fill in some of the "gaps" and will also be able to help verify the things you are experiencing.

Below is a link to an RLS medical bulletin which will help assist your doctor in making a correct diagnosis for you:
http://beta.restlesslegs.org/pdf/2004_m ... lletin.pdf

Take the time to have a "wander" through this discussion group. You will find all sorts of advice which might help you out.

We are all here for you, so don't be afraid to come on in and have a "vent". There will always be at least one set of "ears" available for chewing on!

Keep us posted on your journey, and we will do our best to give you advice and support!

Take it one step at a time, one day at a time, and Stay Positive! You will be able to beat this!

Take care of you :)
Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Re: teenage rls

Post by Guest »

jami wrote:I am 14 years old and I think I have RLS. The last couple weeks it has taken over an hour and a half to fall asleep and then I would wake up about 2 hours later and not fall back to sleep for another hour and then sleep late into the morning. Last night I had an extreme episode. I tried to fall asleep around 10:30, and ended up not falling asleep for more than three hours. I couldn't get comfortable in my bed and it was extremely frustrating because I was exhausted and knew I had to get up early today. I could not understand why I couldn't just lie down and drift off to sleep. At one point I forced myself and tried to figure out what was happening, and I felt a weird tingling in my legs. I had to move again. I couldn't lie still as much as I wanted. So I was getting up over and over, going to the bathroom, walking around my room, fixing my pillows, cleaning my room, just moving. that's what i usually do when I wake up in the middle of the night. but this was so severe I hadn't slept at all yet and it was 1 am. at one point I guess I fell asleep but I didn't even know it. I looked at the clock again and four hours had passed but I didn't feel any more rested. It was 5:30 then and I had to get up in an hour. I tried to fall asleep again... I could lay still longer but still couldn't sleep. I was still wide awake when my alarm went off.

I am so frustrated and exhausted. I'm afraid to even try to go to sleep again. I did a search on teen insomnia and found a sleep disorder website where I read about restless legs and it sounds like I have it... should I talk to my doctor or what?

I too am a teenager suffering from RLS. I just turned 18 and its been going on for years and its been getting worse over time :cry: