New to the Discussion Board

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Craig a guest

New to the Discussion Board

Post by Craig a guest »

I have a couple questions to ask. I have what looks like kneading action in the muscle of my left calf. I tell people that I have an alien in there if they notice and start asking me about it. Is this a sign RLS? It gets worse at night and sometimes will cramp up really bad to were I have to put my full weight on my toes to pull the muscle down. Just in the past couple days I have had 12-14 cramps, with this morning being the worst. It cramped up so bad and it wouldn't stop for over an hour. Right now the leg is so swore I can't walk on it at all.

I found this site by looking leg cramps on the web.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

We are not doctors here and you should probably check with one right away. Sometimes, leg cramps are due to a lack of something (magnesium, calcium, etc.) that can be easily fixed. You could also have RLS and there are great links on this site to get more info. But regardless, we are here for you 8) Hope you will check with a doctor and find it is fixable. RLS is not fun :evil: But there is help out there and support here. Keep us informed. "Ruby"

MERMAID

KNEE REPLACEMENTS V.S RLS

Post by MERMAID »

JUST FOUND THIS WEBSITE DUE TO AN ARTICLE IN THE LOCAL PAPER-ONE OF THOSE QUESTION AND ANSWER M.D. THINGS-AND AM I GLAD I DID!! HAD DOUBLE KNEE REPLACEMENTS JUNE 01, AND OH BOY!!! SPENT TWO YEARS-LITERALLY!-NOT SLEEPING!! WITHIN 5 MINUTES AFTER GOING TO BED, MY LEGS THROBBED ALL NIGHT. MANY TIMES, MY ARMS HAD THAT AWFUL SENSATION THAT I'VE READ OTHERS HAVE HAD;DISJOINTED, PAINFUL,-LIKE YOU WANT TO RIP THEM OFF!! HAD TO DONATE MY OWN BLOOD BEFORE SURGERY 3 UNITS-AND THEN RECEIVED TWO EXTRA UNITS IN THE HOSPITAL. WAS INTERESTED TO SEE THIS CAN CAUSE RLS! NOT ONE DR. KNEW OF THIS DIAGNOSIS!! FINALLY , BECAUSE I WAS BESIDE MYSELF WITH SLEEP DEPRIVATION-MY ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON GAVE ME HALCION TO TAKE FOR THREE WEEKS. INSTANTLY, MY PROBLEMS ALMOST DISAPPEARED. NOW, I AM ABLE TO TAKE 1/2 TAB AT NIGHT, IF I SENSE PROBLEMS. XANAX WORKS REALLY WELL, ALSO. IT'S DABILITATING-AND SCARY WHEN NO ONE KNOWS WHAT YOU HAVE. HAVE HAD A LOT OF BACK PROBLEMS SINCE SURGERY,-PRESSURE,STIFFNESS,PAIN-ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS RELATED TO THE SURGERY. WOULD LOVE TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE WITH KNEE REPLACEMENTS HAVE THIS PROBLEM!! SO GOOD TO HAVE A SUPPORT GROUP!!!!!!!!!

jumpyowl

Post surgery RLS

Post by jumpyowl »

Mermaid, your story reminded me of my mother-in-law. She had a heart valve repair. While recuperating she felt like she wanted to jump out of her skin and eventually wanted to jump out of the hospital window. They had to restrain her which made things even worse.

She recently deceased at 90 so I cannot discuss this with her. :cry: It now seems to me likely that she had something similar to an RLS attack.

20/20 Hindsight