Exercising at night.

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Chelle

Exercising at night.

Post by Chelle »

Me and my dad both have RLS. I find if I work out either on a treadmill or bike my RLS is better controlled. I'm trying to get my dad to join the gym. He has severe RLS. He worked in a coal mine for 30+ years and was walking several miles a day. His RLS was bad then but now that he is retired and really not doing much physically he is having a horrible time with his RLS. I suggested he go to the gym at night and try to wear his legs out. Is this good advice???

trevb

Post by trevb »

hmmm thats a dificult one... some people find excess exercise makes it worse, some find it improves it!!! i guess itll be up to him to try it and decide.

have a good look at the 'new to rls' stickys as they have loads of tips and non-medicational/medicational advice for him to try out. if its really bad he may need meds to help him out? good lukc in your search as there is a lot of info to get thro but its definatly worth it!!

Chelle

Post by Chelle »

Thanks for replying so quickly. He's tried Requip and some sort of seizure medication but nothing works. He is living on Vicodin which is a whole other problem in itself. This is a horrible thing to have. I feel so bad for him and even worse for my mother who has to live with him especially after he hasn't slept in days!!!!! :lol:

trevb

Post by trevb »

if hes struggling so bad then maybe he needs to revisit the dr and see what other meds he can use? there are lots out there, so one should be good for him?

sometimes its a matter of reading up and educating your doctor as he/she may not really be up to date?

feel free to keep posting with any questions if need be. im not the drugs expert but others here are very knowledgable and should be able to help

try this link re drugs...as you can see theres loads!

http://www.rlshelp.org/rlsrx.htm

but dont forget theres loads of non med ways of helping too like reducing caffeine intake, sleep hygeine etc... the non med links are in the stickys somewhere!!

becat

Hi to both

Post by becat »

Sorry to jump in, haven't had too much board time lately.
Chelle, I wanted to comment on your dad.
I have a painful form of RLS and pain meds help me so much. I do have the other symptoms, but seeming the pain and sleepless nights are first on my hit list of thing to take care of.
Couple of things for you. I think it's great that you are trying to get Dad up and moving. Show's you care and that is a loving thing to do. Yes, some walking or something may help, but it's finding the right amount that works, this can be tough. I now walk a mile and 1/2 every night with my dog and husband......BUT I couldn't have done this without having some sleep and control of my symtpoms.
If your dad is having pain, then that issue needs attention. Yes, RLS can be painful and pain meds are hard to come by for many here. If the medication he is on is not helping to cut (in a major way) or address the pain issue, he might need to try something else in the pain class of medications. I take it from your post that he does suffer with pain, if that is wrong please tell me.
To make you feel better or maybe understand it better, RLSers tend to not take medications they don't need. EX: I don't take my pain meds if I don't need them. I never do take enough to be 100% out of pain, but I can manage well with the little I do take. For me just being able to have a choice about medications was a huge thing. If I have things to do and need to function well I have the option.
We are no more likely to be addicts than anyone else, in fact studies show that UNLESS we have had addiction problems before, we are likely to use medications wisely. Not at all if we don't have to. So if he has pain and it's certain from what you said his Quality of Life is badly effected, I'd let him try something different to see if it helped.
He needs rest as well, maybe a change in meds could help relieve him enough to rest or sleep well at night. Having some sleep can change a world of things in us RLSers. I do take a sleep medication and happily. I won't, can't sleep with the night "bugs and the pulling in my thighs", just doesn't happen. Nope I'm crushed that I have to have medications like this, but I could see living the life I had without them. I have choices and hope.
I agree with Trevor, there are just too many choices out there for any of us to suffer. I'm glad you came to the board and sure glad your a wonderful daughter, gotta love that.
Hope this helps and always feel free to come back anytime.
Trevor, I did read your post about the new one coming soon. My best thoughts to you and your family and Health to your wife and new addition (soon).
Hugs to all

Chelle

Post by Chelle »

Thanks for your reply. I'm definitely not convinced that dad tells his doctor everything. He did switch him to Requip but hasn't helped at all. My dad also suffers from rheumatoid arthritis. To be honest, I think we should see someone who specializes in RLS. I'm not so sure his doctor is too up on RLS. My dad looks so bad. I believe he has aged 10 years in the last 2 months. He is finally retired from a tough job and I want he and mom to enjoy themselves. He is sooooo tired. He says that his sleeping pill doesn't help. I need to find out exactly what he is taking and how much and go with him to the doctor. They say, we will eventually be raising our parents!!!!

becat

Your welcome

Post by becat »

Hi again Chelle,
Your so right, but thankfully I have two 71 yrs. old parents that are still on top of things for the most part.
Yes, if you can find an RLS expert, it's better. That is if you live in a bigger area that offers that many doctors. All doctors can treat this, they just have to be willing to read a bit and listen.
I understand seeing that aged looked in a parent, it's so tough, scary for us, but it's part of life, ......I guess it has to be. I would be the first to tell you that lack of sleep and chronic pain can make the best of anyone slip away. If it gives you any hope at all.........I am 41 yrs. old, lived with RLS all of my life, and did not believe that I would live to see 45 yrs. old. A little over a year ago my doctor Thankfully changed my medications. That was after my husband went with me to the appt. and gave his side of the story, "change will happen and it was a must." It happened.
I still have RLS and it still takes me by force somedays, but I feel like I have choices. Hope. In Feb. I was wearing a size 12, I'm in a size 8 now. Sleep and pain control gave me the will to walk and move like I needed to. I was better able to make better choices as time went on and feeling better was the first step. I medicate and I sleep, most of the time. I'm not saying I'm cured, nor do I feel totally free, but there is a good Quality of Life, for all of us.....takes time and the doctor that is willing to work with you and your dad.
Take the RLS Algorthim (in the sticky post here in this section) to your dad's doctor, he or she will find that medication options are plentiful. It can be trial and error, but there are many things to try.
Chelle, our parents generation, many people, aren't always in the mind to tell a doctor everything, but if your dad trust this doc have faith. Also, I come from a family that will not go to doctors hardly at all, some people just don't. Some of us around here think about this way, WE Hire the Doctor and they need to work to help us. It's not an ego thing, it is a trust and want to feel better thing.
I think your on the right path and keep up the hope.
Hugs to ya for being a good kid.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

God love you Trev and Becat. You keep me going! Dear Chelle, I can empathize with your father. This disease robs us of so many things in life, and you reach a point where you are unable to remember who you truly are.

Sleeping pills did nothing for me. Yet I usually never took them till I was in a full blown RLS session. Now I realize if I had taken them before the rls set in it may have helped.

There is a wealth of information on this site and good people who can answer your questions. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Love Hazel

trevb

Post by trevb »

thanks becat and hazel for addng beautifully!
cherrie i noted that your dad has rhuematoid arthritis which is a horrible condition as well. my wifes mother has this and i can relate to your aging comment. she has "aged" considerably in a couple of months. As becat has highlighted already, pain and lack of sleep does this... so you are right... this needs to be sorted for him asap so he can get some relief.

keep us informed cherrie (and I hope my daughter looks after me so well when i get old!)

Chelle

I'm so touched by all of your concerns.

Post by Chelle »

This is such a great website. Everyone is so caring. It is so hard for people to understand this horrible problem if you never experienced it yourself. The sticky section was so awesome and incredibly helpful. I've printed some things out and going to give them to my dad tomorrow. I'm hoping to talk to his doctor soon. Thanks again for all the support!!!! :o