new to RLS, could use some help.

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
scaryloud

new to RLS, could use some help.

Post by scaryloud »

Hello, I'm new to RLS. My symptoms are to the point where I cannot fall asleep at night. I first started noticing this when I was about 25 years old (six years ago). At first I called it "happy legs". It was slightly bothersome but didn't keep me from sleeping. In fact, I knew that "happy legs" was my cue to go to bed. Over time the symptoms have gotten much worse. I never have pain from this, but the irritability of this has increased 10 fold. My toes twitch now and my wife tells me that my legs twitch all night. This only occurs at night for me and when I finally fall asleep, I'm not woken up by it. The occurance is every night as it has always been since I first noticed it. Sitting for long periods of time while driving or watching a movie makes the symptoms appear and I have to keep pressing my foot to the floorboard to aleviate it. I saw a doctor today (for the first time) about this and he prescribed CLONAZEPAM. He also entered me into a sleep study. I'm not sure as to what avenue I should be taking with this and if this doctor prescribed me correct or useful medication. What do I do?

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

The sleep study is always a good idea as it can pinpoint other area where you might be having problems as well. RLS is either primary or secondary. Primary, it means that it is a disorder in and of itself, not caused by anything else. Secondary, means it could be caused by diabetes, renal failure, fibromyalgia, etc. There are no tests to determine if you have RLS, you just have go by your symptoms. I hope you have checked out the sticky posts on this thread. They have lots of useful info. As far as meds go, we have all found out that it may take trying lots of medications and combinations of meds to get the right "cocktail" for you. What works for me may not work for you. I do know that Clonazepam (Klonopin) is not highly recommended although I am on it now. It stays in your system so long that you feel tired too far into the day. It has a long half-life, in other words. Make sure your doctor realizes the long range effects this can have if you work. I am working up the nerve to wean myself off it (which can be a real bear!!! :( ) then go to another medicine. I am actually taking it for sleep though, not for the RLS. So also make sure that if you take it, that it is helping the RLS. The best suggestion I can give you is to learn all you can about RLS. Read as many posts as you can and go armed with info to your doctor. Most of us have had to teach our doctors about RLS and it isn't always easy. But the best thing is that you found us. I'm sorry you had to but this is the best support group around for RLS and the RLS Foundation is the most reputable, reliable source of info there is. This may not have helped, there are certainly smarter people on this site than me, but we do support each other. Keep us posted as to how you get along.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)