what do I present to my doctor

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
ces

what do I present to my doctor

Post by ces »

I have had funny sensations in my legs when I try to lay down at night since I was a child. I am 34 now and still having the same feelings. I can sometimes lay down for 5 minutes other times for 30 minutes before the sensation arrives. Once the feeling is there I cannot stop moving my legs and usually I end up walking around or stretching for a period of time until I can fall asleep. I don't know if I really move alot while sleeping but my wife definately complains about me shifting my legs when I first lay down. I have recently noticed lately that when I am at work if I sit down for a period of time after 8 or 9 pm my legs will start to have the sensation and I will have to move my feet and legs and sometimes will have to stand in order to make it go away. I think once I fall asleep It all stops. I call them sensations because they are not really pains but only a uncomfortable feeling. I have never been diagnosed with RLS, but am planning on speaking with my doctor as soon as possible. I recently learned of RLS and wonder if physicians take this seriously or are they blaming the symtoms on other problems. Any help with what I should tell my physician would be extremeley helpful and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Neco

Post by Neco »

It sounds like you already have all the information you need. If you are looking for some extra leverage, you might bring some information abour RLS with you, and try to explain why you think you may have RLS, and why you feel that you display the same symptoms.

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

CES,

My suggestion is to do a lot of research/reading on the treatment options for RLS and decide which one(s) you want to try. We must be very proactive with this disease, and not depend on doctors to know much about it - most don't.

Since each of us repond differently to the treatments, you must find what works for you, by trial & error. If you're lucky, you'll find a doctor who has some knowledge or is willing to learn along with you. If that's not the case, switch docs.

The RLS treatment algorithm is a good place to start, print an extra copy for your doctor:
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/in ... D=744&UID=

You may choose meds, or try some non-pharmaceutical approaches to dealing with it, depending on how you respond. I tried most everything until finally giving in and taking meds, but only after about 5 weeks of almost no sleep. I'm currently content, for the most part, with a very low dose of Mirapex.

Wishing you all the best,

Heron