New to Site and Officially Diagnosed

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
amecoy75002

New to Site and Officially Diagnosed

Post by amecoy75002 »

I have been officially diagnosed with RLS today. My father suffered from it my entire childhood. I remember him sleeping at the kitchen table and crying from the "twitchy legs". I always swore I would NEVER do anything so crazy as sleep at the table....no I just walk marathon circles around my house in the middle of the night and cry from the "twiches", "itchy feelings" and inability to sit or lay still!!!. Movies and long flights really make my legs go crazy.

I am a type 2 diabetic and my dr put me on Sinemet today for the restless legs. He started to tell me that it was a side effect of my Diabetes, but hubby explained I have had this since he met me 25 years ago. I read in here that Sinemet is not the drug of choice, but my dr explained that due to my diabetes this one was the best choice.

It is wonderful to find out that others suffer from this problem (boy that sounds kindof mean, but you all know what I really meant!) People who do not suffer from it, do not understand why I can not sit still, why I pace at night, why I cringe and the thought of a long flight or car ride. Great to know that there are others out there that can understand and help me better understand this problem. Here's to learning all I can about RLS, so I can life a better life!!!
Alice -
Live Life to the Fullest
Dance Like No One Is Watching
Laugh Loud and Laugh Often

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Heredity is sometimes a good thing and sometimes not. So many of us look back and realize that someone in our family (or several someones) suffered from RLS but had no clue what it was or what to do about it. We all know how we feel on those nights when nothing works. Imagine how horrible it must have been not to even KNOW what was wrong. There are still so many people out there that don't know about RLS or that there is help. It's so important for all of us with RLS to let others know that they are not alone. This is one of the best support group websites I have found. There are some very intelligent people here and while we all make sure to tell people that they need to check with their own doctors, it's good to hear what does and doesn't work for others. I'm so sorry you had the need to find a place like ours but if you have to have RLS, I'm really glad you did. RLS can be a side-effect of diabetes but since your hubby says you had this long before, who knows? It could even be that you have PLMD and that is what your husband was seeing. At any case, you need to keep at this and find the right doctor and meds to help you. Research on your own for info. The RLS Foundation is the most reliabe source out there for info. Keep us posted on how you get along.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

becat

Not alone

Post by becat »

Hi and Welcome.
Nope your not alone anymore. There are so many people that just haven't found us yet, but hopefully will as we get out the word, more and more.
I sent you a PM on this site. I only live 5-10 minutes from you, so Howdy neighbor.
Just wanted to say hi and welcome.
Hi Miss Ruby.
hugs to all

jumpyowl

Saying hello and brief update

Post by jumpyowl »

Hi, Lynn and Ruby:

A voice from the past. Hello to the newcomer and heartfelt hello to the old freinds. I am copying this segment here to make sure you ladies see it. (trying to save time - unsuccessfully).

Since october that is the first time I was notified of a "reply" from Sue

It gave me an excuse to log in. I missed you guys!!!

Now, the reason for my long absence: I have been playing a guinea pig voluntarily for almost a year to psychiatrists, counselors, and social workers. While trying to prove them how careless and unscientific they are with their conclusions I was trying to work on my main goal - helping my wife and daughter.

I think I succeeded in both if only partially. My daughter lives in Tyler, going to school and works part time. She appears to be more self assertive and much happier. Thank God.

My wife's health after getting much better, suddenly deterriorated and she ended up three times in the emergency ward. At the first time she was so anemic that they had to give her 5 units of blood. Her ferritin level was less than 5 nanogram/ml, I am surprised she did not end up with RLS. They did a colonoscopy with negative results then they let her go home. (they forgot to check her lungs). A few days later (after seeing her family doctor) she was back in the hospital with severe pneumonia. Just saw her family doctor again today. Now he is willing to order an X-ray 30 days from now.

In the meantime I was steadily gaining weight and my stress level kept increasing. My blood sugar was going up, too. In december I visited a physician friend, who measured my blood sugar. 0ver 300 mg/dL. I went back to our family doctor, who stated that I am all right "I shall see you in 6 mos."

That was getting close to be a death warrant. I bought a glucometer and convinced myself that I am indeed diabetic. Went to see an endocrinologist, - sure enough my doctor was wrong.

My neurologist is also in the picture. She ran a nerve conduction test on me (not all of it pleasant but tolerable). They also ran an NMR on my lower back due to SCIATICA painn - rather stubborn. Mostly negative.

After trying them I have refused all psychotic medications. There was no justification for them and they made me feel much worse and much fatter.

I am still on Mirapex although had to increase the dose to 3 mg per day.

However, the main reason I am not on the board is that I have been working intensely on my main project: attempting to put my intellectual legacy in ophthalmology in a form that medical researchers can use it and people can benefit from it. Next meeting will be three weeks from now, and I have not had time to pay the bills yet!

Well, I hope that my old friends will be able to see this post. This why I planted it here. I noticed that you are all very active in RLS and I am so glad and proud of you.

Once I can breathe a bit easier, help my wife and get the diabetes under control, I will finish the second survey and come back more often.

Love to you all! :oops:
Jumpy Owl

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Glad to hear all is getting much better. We will be here when you get back. Good luck getting your work completed.

Ann
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

becat

Post by becat »

Ahhh Our Sweet Jumpyowl. nWe miss you more.
régi jó barátom, megbízhatóság, igen megtisztelő számomra.

büszke lehetsz magadra, you've worked so hard on behalf of us many of us and so many others. We, I, am the mázlis one, my dear.
I'm so glad to hear about your daughter's continued success. I know that helps you to breath a bit easier. We always wish the best for our children and only hope to be able to send them into the world well and able to build their own life. An issue of struggle beyond my own means within my home for a while now. I'm happy for you and the Mrs..
Truely, a wonder your lovely wife did not come up with RLS, I agree. I'll be sure to keep you all close in my prayers. I hate to hear about the hospital stay, but am so glad to know she was in there, pneumonia can put a person in danger in so little time. I hope she is closer to a full recovery now.
imádkoziks for you both.
Your health has been an issue for so long. I trust that you are on top of it and making sure the doctors around you stay a step ahead of you. Not an easy task for them I'm sure. I wish I was there to just give you a hug, make sure your eating properly and resting if possible.
I have no doubt that your work within your career is seen as nothing less than true talent and educational for many to come. Your a work will not go unnoticed. Don't fret too much ablout that.
I am so glad to hear from you. I hope to make you proud, your certainly one that I would hope to do that for. My heart is always with you and my prayers are too.
Many hugs and mich love Lynne (becat)

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Dear Jumpyowl, it's Jan

How wonderful to hear from you and all the news about your family.

I'm so happy to hear about your daughter. I also know from personal experience how we can agonize over our children, no matter how old they are. I'm so happy for you and Gloria.

I'm also so sorry to hear about the health problems your sweet wife has endured. It sounds like they have finally found the problem. I wish a speedy recovery for her.

Now, you---you know, you are never far from our thoughts. You will always have the respect of your friends here for all you have done and all you continue to do. Please take care of yourself. You know how I worry about you!

Love,
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Dearest Jumpy, how I have wondered and worried about you!!! You have been through so much and I just wish we could have been closer to help. What a blessing you have been to all of us in the past and will be in the future. All your friends here are telling you to take care of yourself while you take care of your loved ones. Please listen to us because we need you not only for your intelligence but for your warmth and encouragement. I'll never forget the huge hug you gave me in Long Beach when we first met. You do what you have to do now and know that all of us are behind you and with you and will help in any way if you need us. Take care of yourself, cyber hugs and good thoughts are coming your way. Love always, Ruby
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Jumpy Owl,

Though we actually do not know each other, I have read many of your posts. Appreciate all that you have contributed in your many projects. Seeing your name always brings a smile to my heart. 89ithe cat wants to type...

Owls have always been close to my heart, hope to see the screech owl fledglings soon in spring...there is powerful gentle healing relating to owl medicine. I know you will fair well. In the meantime let me add my prayers and hopes to the others on behalf of you and your family.

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden