Is this all just in my head?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
jitterbug

Is this all just in my head?

Post by jitterbug »

Just found this site as I was trying to gain more info and insight into RLS. I have not been to a Dr. regarding this so I am self-diagnosing at this point. I am 35, in good health, no medications, and have suffered from this for as long as I can remember. As a child my Mom & Dad used to take turns rubbing my legs at night for my "growing pains" and now I twitch either twitch and shake watching late night TV or clean the house till I'm exhausted enough to fall asleep. I finally got my baby sleeping through the night, now I just have to work on myself.

I just have a few questions that I'd like some feedback on:
1.) Should I really go to a Dr. and get a formal diagnosis? I know that I am not as bad as many of the people who battle with this but it's enought to send me searching the internet at night.
2.) Do I need to give up ALL caffeine? If you saw me without my "fully-leaded" morning coffee you might argue this one.
3.) Are there any homeopathic remedies that anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can respond to my babbling.

jumpyowl

Welcome jitterbug!

Post by jumpyowl »

It sure sounds like you have something such as RLS/PLM (periodic leg movement). The latter can be objectively diagnosed and quantified by a sleep study, just how severe it is.

I assume that you had recently been pregnant. :) Congratulations on the baby! Do not forget that some women have RLS only with their pregnancy. Also they are more likely have low ferritin level. You had RLS in all your life, so in your case these are probably exacerbate your symptoms.

You will find that you cannot just go to any doctor to diagnose RLS. Some will just stare at you intelligently. :P

I would definitely have a blood test for ferritin and electrolytes (especially magnesium and potassium). Also a sleep test but make sure that the attending technician and the doctor in charge know something about RLS. (Many only know and recognize sleep apnea.) :?

I would read some posts on this discussion board and educate myself.

Coffee! Aaahh! that could be one of your big problems. You need coffee because your sleep is not restful due to RLS. Rls gets worse because of caffeine. So you drink more coffee. Typical vicious circle! :shock: One you should break!

Even more important than going to a doctor, make sure you educate yourself on this affliction. This is so because you will have to work with your doctor and make sure he will not prescribe something that will make your RLS worse. For a typical example: antidepressant!!! :shock:

Let us know if we can help. Nadia will be able to help with the nonpharmaceutical approaches. (this is called passing the buck). :)
Jumpy Owl

Heronak

Coffee!

Post by Heronak »

Ok, I agree caffeine can aggrevate RLS, but over the years I've personnally found no relationship between my one cup of high octane java early in the morning and increased RLS. The key (for me) is ONE CUP, not a pot full, and never any after noon. But boy is that cup GOOD! My two cents...

Jumpy made some great suggestions, knowledge is power so keep reading. By all means talk with your doctor or one familiar with treating RLS. Best,

Heron