what is meant by the word, 'disabling'

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
foggy

what is meant by the word, 'disabling'

Post by foggy »

Most of the literature about RLS mentions that it may be 'disabling'...

Would someone explain what that means, please?

Thanks in advance.

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

would mean that you have symptoms so bad they interferre with the way you perform in your job and everyday living. If you can not get adequate sleep then your mind is not there for you to perform everyday duties. Especially when it comes to driving not enough sleep could cause one of us with rls/plmd to fall asleep at the wheel.
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

Re: what is meant by the word, 'disabling'

Post by Guest »

foggy wrote:Most of the literature about RLS mentions that it may be 'disabling'...

Would someone explain what that means, please?

Thanks in advance.

My restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movement (and all that has come along as a result) are so severe that I have become 'disabled'. Not only do I experience severe symptoms of RLS/PLMD, but just since 1999 I have all of the symptoms of long term sleep deprivation, poor cognitive function, diabetes, high blood pressure, very severe fibromyalgia (must walk with a cane or walker), hiatel hernia/gerd, and the very latest, cardiomyopathy. I am only 48 and I cannot support myself because I can no longer work. I have been trying to get Social Security Disability since December 2003 and I am determined to do so.

I have always been a high functioning and very social person, full time career, raised three awesome sons on my own, maintained a home, yard & pool, automobile, dated, danced, read, movies, entertained friends, travelled to concerts & vacations, home improvement projects (refinished floors, layed tile, carpentry, paint & paper, reupholster) seamstress & gardner.

Today, even after puchasing the plastic-like dishes, I must rest between emptying the top of my dishwasher and the bottom.