tingling and muscular cramps

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Jackie

tingling and muscular cramps

Post by Jackie »

Hi - I have been having tingling and muscle spasms in my legs and arms, also heart palpitation... Sometimes it gets worse during sleep... so I am woken up by the symptoms...

I understand this is called spasmophilia and is a condition induced by hypocalcemia and hypomagnesemia...

Does anybody share these simptoms with the RLS ones...?

Thanks,

Jackie

jumpyowl

Welcome, Jackie!

Post by jumpyowl »

I assume that you have been diagnosed with spasmophilia which just says that your muscles are prone to cramp as well as prone to having cardiac arrythmia.

I am not sure whether you mean hypocalemia, low potassium rather than low calcium level. That can definitely cause palpitations and even more serious arrythmia. Low magnesium is likely to cause muscle cramps as well as nervous irregularities.

Hypocalcemia produces a wide range of peripheral and CNS effects, including paresthesias, tetany (i.e., contraction of hands, arms, feet, larynx, bronchioles), seizures, and even psychiatric changes in children. (note paresthesia which is a prime symptom of RLS)

We know a lot about the wide-ranging effect of hypocalcemia. It is of interest to note that tetany is not caused by increased excitability of the muscles. Muscle excitability is actually depressed because hypocalcemia impedes acetylcholine release at neuromuscular junctions and, thus, inhibits muscle contraction. However, the increase in neuronal excitability overrides the inhibition of muscle contraction. Cardiac function may also suffer because of poor muscle contractility.

Have you had an oral magnesium load test? This is the only way to diagnose hypomagnesemia as often the plasma magnesium levels could be normal in that condition.

How was your RLS diagnosed? Whar symptoms do you have?
What medications are you at present taking for your symptoms?

As you may know either or both of these deficiency states can cause RLS symptoms. Do you also have PLMD (periodic limb movement disorder)?

These conditions are most common in neonates and young children. Could you reveal your gender and age please?
Last edited by jumpyowl on Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

Jackie

spasmophilia

Post by Jackie »

Hi Jumpingowl- and thank you for your detailed reply. To answer your question, I am a woman of 37 years old.

I was diagnosed with spasmophilia in my native country, in Europe, where it is quite common and widely known. It is treated - temporarily and repeatedly - with a cure of Ca and Mg+K.

Now I live in Canada where doctors and pharmacists have never heard of it... nor do they know how to treat it...

I have never been diagnosed with RLS - I was just reading through the web publications and discovered some of my symptoms here... I feel muscle fibrilations and parasthesias, I have muscle spasms and pain in my mucles - which diminish when Ca is taken regularly (cca 1900 -2000 mg / day). The cure of Mg and K agravated the symptoms, probably because they depleted the body of the mollecular Ca...

The results of the blood tests will be seen tomorrow... In this country only the doctors have access to medical information. The other people - the patients - are kept in the darkness and ingorance... Reminds me of the Middle Ages.... We need a new Rennaisance.... In my country of origin the patient receives the medical papers which have the test results and in a column next to the results the standard / what the normal readings should be... In that way you know yourself what is wrong with you...

Thanks,

Jackie

jumpyowl

Paresthesia

Post by jumpyowl »

Hello, Jackie: You have paresthesia (or paraesthesia) and thus you assume that in addition to your diagnosed affliction, spasmophilia (as well as hypocalcemia), you also have RLS.

Not only Spasmophilia (hypocalcemia) is known to have paresthesia among its symptoms, there are all together 25 afflictions that all result in the same, unpleasant symptoms. I quote them:

Symptom: Leg paresthesia
Leg paresthesia: Leg tingling, prickling, numbness or burning sensations
Introduction: Abnormal nerve sensations such as pins-and-needles, tingling, burning, prickling or similar feelings are all known as "paresthesias". They usually result from nerve damage due to pressure, entrapment, or nerve diseases. Continued nerve damage can lead to leg numbness and permanent loss of feeling. Any abnormal sensation needs medical investigation.

Conditions listing symptoms: Leg paresthesia: The following list of conditions have 'Leg paresthesia' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.

Broken foot ... tingling foot
Buerger's disease ... leg paresthesias, leg tingling, foot paresthesias, leg burning, foot tingling

Celiac Disease ... tingling (legs from nerve damage)
Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy ... tingling in toes and fingers

Diabetes ... foot tingling
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy ... tingling in feet, tingling in legs, tingling in toes

Fabry's Disease ... burning sensations in hands and feet

Guillain-Barre Syndrome ... leg tingling

Hyperventilation ... tingling feet

Hypocalcemia ... foot paresthesias

Hypoparathyroidism ... foot paresthesias

Hypothyroidism ... foot paresthesias

Multiple Sclerosis ... foot paresthesias, foot tingling

Neurotoxic shellfish poisoning ... tingling legs

Olivopontocerebellar Atrophy ... feet tingling

Paralytic shellfish poisoning ... leg tingling

Polyarteritis nodosa ... foot paresthesias, tingling feet

Polyneuritis ... foot paresthesias, limb tingling, limb tingling, foot tingling

Restless Legs Syndrome ... abnormal leg sensations, leg tingling, calf muscle sensations, painful leg sensations

Sjogren's Syndrome ... limb tingling

Stroke ... limb tingling

Subacute combined degeneration of the spinal cord ... foot paresthesias, tingling feet

Tetany ... tingling feet

Transverse myelitis ... leg tingling

Type 2 diabetes ... foot tingling

It would be interesting to have a sleep test (polysomnography) to analyze the exact causes of poor quality sleep that you may have.

Just from your symptoms I would not think you have RLS.

There can be several reasons behind your observations that this affliction is well known in your country of origin. It could be some wide spread dietary deficiency. Certain parts of Switzerland has a high incidence of goiter (lack of iodine). It does not necessarily mean that the doctors or pharmacists in Canada are not well trained.

In the USA one should always get a copy of lab results. Either from the lab or usually from the doctor who ordered the test. Complete with the ranges. One should be careful trying to interpret those data, however. This is why a good doctor does come handy.

Are you sure Jackie, that you are not just a bit homesick? :oops: If so, I understand. :)
Jumpy Owl