Muscle twitches/contractions part of RLS?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Anonymous

Muscle twitches/contractions part of RLS?

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sadiegirl

Post by Sadiegirl »

I think this is a good question because I get them too. Everywhere also. They are isolated, last a very short time, usually. Sometimes I can see the muscle twitch and sometimes I can just feel it and not see it.

If you look under the heading "More about the RLS Foundation" and click on Media, and then click on "Fact Sheet". It mentions deep, involuntary twitches of the muscle.

I'm not sure if it is part of RLS or not. I wish I had an answer because it would help my anxiety level. If you find an answer or if anyone knows an answer, I would love to know it. Good luck in your quest.

Laura

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

From my research, involuntary jerking is sometimes a part of RLS. The fancy word is dyskinesias. Needless to say, that symptom could instead be another illness.

b_rwhite5

Post by b_rwhite5 »

I also have muscle twitches, but only in my thighs and calf muscles. I don't get them often and they are not painful, just a nuisance.
Rebecca

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

i don't get them often but sometime it happens in my thighs and also in my upper arms. i hate it!

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I've had twitches here and there..... Legs, arms, sometimes somewhere in my face. It's weird, isn't it.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

dvel

Post by dvel »

Hi I new to the site. I've had RLS for years, but I didn't know what it was until the Requip commercial came out. I am taking Requip 1 to 2 mg. I works okay but it wears off by 6 or 7 PM. I don't like the side effects. I read that RLS is caused from lack of Serotonin also. I learned about this site by just looking on the internet.

Donna

wgea

Re: Muscle twitches/contractions part of RLS?

Post by wgea »

Make Mine Coffee wrote:Hello all,

Was wondering if muscle twitches were part of the RLS experience? I get them on my face, legs, arms, feet, and even in my abdomen. They are isolated twitches under the skin, not jerks of the limbs. Any relationship to RLS?

:)

I have the same problem. This is what initially scared me when i first started researching my symptoms because other websites will have these listed as symptoms of more serious problems ( Lou Gehrigs disease, MS, etc...). The other websites ( too many to list ) dont have alot to say about RLS, so apparently, there are some of us who have to deal with the twitches as well. I would tell the doctor about them the next time you have an appointment though.