RLS in the back

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
lauriep

RLS in the back

Post by lauriep »

My doctor says I have RLS. My mom had it in her legs, but mine is primarily in my back. Anytime I have to sit still for an extended period of time, I get the creepy crawly fidgits throughout my back. I also get them when I'm trying to sleep and can be awakened out of sound sleep by them. Is this a normal "variation" of RLS? :?

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Laurie,

Sorry you are experiencing problems ...

Normal? :oops: :lol: One thing I have found by spending time here is that there is really no *normal* RLS experience! We all have somethings in common, however RLS is as individualized as there are members of this board!

I cannot say I have had symptoms in just the back - though I have from time to time experienced full body RLS sensations. RLS affects primarily the legs and arms.

Wish I could offer you more insight. Maybe someone else has had problems similar to yours and will post about them.

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Laurie, as far as I know, there is nothing to preclude RLS being in your back. I have seen people on this and other boards who have it in their pelvic region, their neck, face, etc. I would say it's probably not as common--as Hazel said, it is most often legs, then arms.

If the criteria apply and you have family history, that seems definitive to me. A link to the criteria is in this thread: http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1068

While not 'normal' variation, I think it still fits. That said, I am not a doctor! Have you ever had to take any opioids for pain? Like Percocet, Darvon, hydrocodone, etc.? If you have, did this disappear while taking it? Opioids work for most people (who can take them) to stop RLS, though are not the first thing prescribed. Also, you could try some of the lifestyle changes or supplements listed in that same post above and see if they help.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.