Ferritin Reminder

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
ViewsAskew

Ferritin Reminder

Post by ViewsAskew »

Someone PMed me to ask about ferritin levels. I wanted to post online so in case anyone else had the same question, they would also get an answer. I hope that my private poster isn't offended :( . I won't use names or log in names so as to keep it private.

Researchers have found that ferritin needs to be at least 50 for those with RLS. The minimum/maximum levels are really determined sort of arbitrarily, to my surprise, so the researchers think maybe everyone's level should be higher. But, that is neither here, nor there, as they say. Ferritin is the measure of the iron stored in your body. You can have great levels of iron in your blood (hemoglobin) but have very low ferritin.

The ranges for lab test vary by lab. Each sets its own ranges. Some have a low of 10, others 15, or 20 or even 25 for ferritin. It's not so much important what the lab says or where yours is, simply if it is below 50, it may help to take iron. Your doctor may not know this, so you may have to educate them or they won't test you if your ferritin is within the lab's range.

When you take iron, always get new blood tests every 3-4 months. While usually we don't get too much iron stored, it can happen and that is actually much worse than not having enough. Similarly, don't take iron unless you've had a test and know your ferritin level. People can have very high levels of ferritin and still have RLS.

To take it, Dr Buchfurer recommends taking 325 mg of ferrous sulfate 3 times a day, on an empty stomach, and with a vitamin C tablet or product (like wash it down with orange juice). You may find it bothers your stomach and you have to take it with food. It will bother your intestines - dark, tarry stools, bloating, gas, and constipation are all likely. The best you can do is make sure you get lots of water and fiber, and walk if you can--it is good for improving the speed at which stool moves through you.

There are different types of iron you can take. Some are supposed to be less easier on you. I just can't remember what the names are (pretty foggy today). If someone else does, please post!

Anyway, hope this helps.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

This is a very important message, thank you for posting Ann. My blood tests indicated that my iron levels were normal, so when I asked for the ferritin levels to be tested my dr was somewhat apprehensive that it was a necessary test. When I brought him the info on the relationship between low ferritin levels and RLS he did and surprise I was way below 50!

Here are some excerpts, to read the entire Natl Institute of Health Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet on Iron visit

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp#h8

Supplemental iron is available in two forms: ferrous and ferric. Ferrous iron salts (ferrous fumarate, ferrous sulfate, and ferrous gluconate) are the best absorbed forms of iron supplements.

The amount of iron absorbed decreases with increasing doses. For this reason, it is recommended that most people take their prescribed daily iron supplement in two or three equally spaced doses.

Iron intake is negatively influenced by low nutrient density foods, which are high in calories but low in vitamins and minerals. Sugar sweetened sodas and most desserts are examples of low nutrient density foods, as are snack foods such as potato chips.

Celiac Disease and Crohn's Syndrome are associated with gastrointestinal malabsorption and may impair iron absorption. Iron supplementation may be needed if these conditions result in iron deficiency anemia

Rowing for you and all the others, as I can today! Hazey
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

ViewsAskew

Re: Ferritin Reminder

Post by ViewsAskew »

here is a link to this older study that indicated donation may not be good:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/ar ... 1830-2/pdf
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.