New face

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
bbrock

New face

Post by bbrock »

I'm currently a college student majoring in Business Accounting. I've lived with a mild form of RLS my entire life. When I was little my mom would tell me I was excited about something, and thats why my legs would "tingle."

When I got to college it stopped for about a year. Over the past couple of months my symptoms have returned full force. First it was the "tingling," then it graduated to electrical impulses, then uncontrollable movement of my legs. Now my life is being turned upside down by lack of sleep. I currently have a 4.0 GPA and am applying to law school, scared to death i'm not going to be able to get this under control.

I can't stand not having control over myself. Although it's good to know i'm not alone, i'm scared that nothing can help. Does anyone have any suggestions for immediate relief? Even partial relief? Thanks so much.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

You have found a great place to start! So sorry you have to deal with RLS with all you have going on with your education...

Best place to start is the sticky posts in this New to RLS section.

there is a website by Jill Gunzel that has a lot of good information for living with RLS and managing it without medication.

http://members.cox.net/gunzel/rls.html

Hope some of this helps.

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

becat

Post by becat »

Hi Bbrock,
I'm not sure where you go to school, but I got the chance to sit next to a man on the plane a few weeks ago and I think his what you need to look for.
He is the director of student disablity services for Texas Tech. A truely wonderful and nice man. I asked him if his office or any like it at another college could be helpful for RLSers.
He thought they could be of help for students. If you have a doctors report that clearly states that you have RLS and could print off enough things to explain how your lifestyle is effected, you might be able to get some help. A go between for your and the professors, your schedule, etc....You apply and get that degree! We'll support you and with a service like this man I met offers, you might get some help in school as well.
Also the best thing to do for yourself is get to the doctor, even if you have to educate the doc yourself, go. When your Quality of life is such that even being able to function, that means you've suffered enough.
I wish there were a quick fix or an easy one at that. There just isn't. But there is a ton of hope that maybe you'll find a doc that can help.
Keep us in the loop and let is know how things go.
Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

bbrock, you've gotten some good advice; I'll add my two cents. I'd have never made it through college taking 8 Am classes! My friends thought I was crazy, but just adjusting my schedule to the RLS helped A LOT.

What do you do now? Do you know much about things you can do? If you don't check out this thread: http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1068 It will at least help you get oriented to things you can do, like altering your diet, taking supplements/vitamins that help, stopping other drugs that may be making it worse, etc.

After you go through that, let us know if anything isn't clear or if you still have questions. There are several things you can do that are listed in there that might help at least a little immediately.

In terms of worrying that nothing will help, lots of things do help. Much of it varies from person to person. You do need to get through school, but if you can make some lifestyle changes, maybe you can avoid them for now. If you do need drugs, you might want to consider something you don't have to take every day, as then you might feel more in control. You'd only take it if you had to get to sleep in order to feel awake for a test or something. Sinemet is a good choice - but only if you take it less than 4 times a week.

But I'm getting ahead of you. Read that stuff and get back to us. Oh, and make that appointment with a doctor. It will take a few weeks to get in and in the meantime you can get "educated" so you know what you want when you get there.

Welcome.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.