RLS symptoms

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Rubyslipper

RLS symptoms

Post by Rubyslipper »

Just curious as to symptoms you may have that don't fit the routine ones we know about RLS. For example: most of us have the creepy-crawly, tingles, gotta move, can't sleep symptoms. Some of us have pain. What kind, where, how often, does anything trigger it? I get goosebumps/tingles in various parts of my body especially if I get just alittle hot. Lately my feet go numb (they always tingle) for short periods. My lower back hurts terribly at times almost like it wants to dislocate from my hips. My right arm gets extremely weak and feels like I have a blood-pressure cuff on it (constricted). The tingles are sometimes all on one side and run up and down my side in waves, especially if the weather is about to change drastically. I can usually tell when it will snow!! :lol: Nadia and I have talked about how tired our legs are even when we think we have rested well. See what I mean? Let me know if any of these are your symptoms or do you have others? We are all in this together and boy does that help!! :wink:
Leave room in your garden for the bunnies to dance!

jumpyowl

Post by jumpyowl »

Good topic, Ruby! Is it not strange that feelings are so hard to describe in words? Esspecially RLS strange discomforts or maddening internal irritation which is enough to drive one up the wall. I also have pain that is commonly culminates in the knee, then in the hip almost at the same place where the sciatica nerve crosses the hip bone. The lower back can hurt, too.

When I move my legs in bed after a period of immobility, the joint almost always creaks or cracks. This may be unrelated. If I do not move, the pain keeps increasing out of bounds it feels like until I move the leg. One tries to jiggle the leg so the maddening sensation is kept in check and pain does not develop.

During driving on Interstate, one barely moves the right leg. The pain naturally develops but one has to be careful not to jiggle the leg while holding the gas pedal to the metal trying to maintain 70 mph (128 kmph).
Cruise control is such a blessing at a time like this.

I will watch the sensations more carefully from now on so I can convey them better. I do not have much involuntary movements. Lately it feels like the cramps in the lower legs are just around the corner but I ve not had a good charlie's horse in months.

Let us hear from others. Especially from the lurkers! :o
Jumpy Owl

jumpyowl

Post by jumpyowl »

Sorry for the duplication.
Last edited by jumpyowl on Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jumpy Owl

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

I've found it's more frustrating when having found a way to "relieve" my legs that i've gone and aggravated something else entirely.

My hips and lower back have born the brunt of my efforts. I've had problems with my back for about 15yrs, but now its just worse. I don't think my hips know what's hit them, they just ache and ache these days.

I had two lots of surgery on my right wrist 5yrs ago and used to agonise over the arthritis and being the local weather predictor; now i barely notice it.....go figure!

I'm still having a great time with my unpredictable blood-pressure! But I know that's from one of my drugs. It's been great fun standing in line at the grocery store checkouts hanging on to the trolley for sheer life hoping I don't look half as "white" as I felt!

Ahhhh, we're just a bundle of fun kinda bunch aren't we?!?! :P

Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

sardsy75

Different types of RLS Symptoms?

Post by sardsy75 »

I've been pondering and am wondering if anyone else has noticed that they get different "types" of RLS Symptoms.

I have come to the distinct conclusion that I have experienced a number of different types of RLS Symptoms.

The first type is the general achy/tired/squirmy feelings which can be relieved with walking and general wriggling.

The second type starts with the first type but then degenerates into the "gotta stretch that particular muscle" feeling as well which, funnily enough, is only relieved by stretching "that particular muscle" until the feeling goes away as well as trying to walk/wriggle at the same time (there's an "art" to it!). However, there is a VERY thin line between a "just enough" stretch and an "overstretched" stretch.

The third type starts with the first two, only this time, with just as much gusto, the arms join in. No "art" for this one, whatever works at the time.

The fourth type is an episode that hits "out of left field" with such severity (may or may not include arms) that it causes complete blind panic and the desperate search for a way “out”.

With types two, three and four, because I have very severe RLS, the mere act of walking often becomes nigh impossible within a very short time. The feelings become sooooo intense, that something as simple as walking the few metres up and down the short hallway in our house a couple of times completely drains the energy in my legs to the extent that I simply cannot stand up and have to find the nearest bed/couch and contend with the “gotta moves” as best I can. My walking pace is severely affected after these types of symptoms to the extent that I can slow to a just shuffle; my legs are completely drained of the capacity to carry me along – quite frustrating & sometimes embarrassing for a 28yr old!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Anonymous

I think I just discovered that I suffer from RLS!

Post by Anonymous »

I feel so relieved. I had no idea what I had. I thought it was just something I inherited from my Mom--she always complained on a daily basis about aching legs and that her legs would "draw up."

I just read something yesterday on a flight from Washington DC in USA TODAY that mentioned Restless Leg Syndrome. I about jumped out of my seat! I thought, "this is me!!"

I don't have a severe case; at least I don't think. Any advice or help from any of you would be so readily welcome. I am just glad to find there is an actual name and diagnosis.

I am in my mid-40s, but have suffered with this for years. Mainly at night when I first lay down in bed--my lower legs--mainly at the ankle area--but always on the top of the legs start aching and "drawing." I have to move them constantly to ease the ache. I travel a lot on business and riding in an airplane is simply the worst--last night on my flight home from DC I was miserable for 2 1/2 hours. I am sure my seat partner couldn't wait to get away from me, because my right leg was experiencing that sensation where I constantly have to keep moving it and stretching it and rubbing it. It's like something is pulling upward inside my legs.

I also have the loss of sensation in my left arm on occasion...like the circulation is being cut off and it feels sometimes like it is asleep.

I am just so grateful to have discovered RLS and this website. Can anyone give me some advice as to how you seek relief? So far, for the last several years, I have been rubbing Ben Gay or Icy Hot on my legs and taking a couple of aspirins. It doesn't really relieve anything, but the Icy Hot burns my skin so bad that it takes my mind off the RLS symptoms! :)

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Glad you found us but sorry you had a need to. You sound like you have typical RLS symptoms. You should really see a doctor, one who will work with you and take you and your symptoms seriously. Keep looking until you find one who will. Most of us have had RLS problems for a long time, have tried lots of medicines and are still working out the bugs to get the most relief. Sometimes the only thing that helps is stretching or walking. But there are many medicines out there that can help. This is a very good site to get information and to ask questions. Mr. Jumpyowl is a good source of info. Some of us have had sleep studies and some have provided good info. I personally had two and they were worthless. I have found a good doctor who isn't a neurologist but is willing to learn and listen. The best way to deal with RLS is to learn as much as you can about it. Nadia, I truly feel for you. How horrible to need to stretch and walk and be unable to do so. My legs get extremely tired but not to that extreme. One thing that sometimes helps me "tune out" the milder symptoms is to listen to books on tapes. I do that during long trips between rest breaks (or get out and walk breaks). There are so many available in lots of different areas, fiction, history, religion, comedy, etc. Maybe it would occasionally help if you had a walkman and could slow down the walking a little. Just a thought and probably not a great one. :oops: For both of you, we care. Keep us posted on your journey.