New here too

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Jennygirl531

New here too

Post by Jennygirl531 »

Hello. I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to introduce myself. I'm Jennifer, 31, and I've had rls for the past 8 years, since I was 7 months pregnant with my first child. Unfortunately, it didn't resolve itself with delivery! I finally saw a neurologist sometime within the last 2 years and he started me on Mirapex, which really worked well for me. However, I am now pregnant again and unable to take anything, so my symptoms are back with a vengeance...I'm miserable! :( Until recently, I've managed to fall alseep pretty well around 2 a.m. and sleep until 10:30 or so, but lately it's kicked into high-gear and leaving me without any solid, deep sleep whatsoever. I'm starting to feel pretty strung-out.

I was wondering if any of you have had any luck with diet change, other than the obvious culprits (caffeine, alcohol). I just wonder because sometime last year, before getting pg, I started a certain diet and my symptoms seemed to subside during the time I was on it. This wasn't for very long since I only stuck with the diet 2 weeks, but I definitely noticed a difference (and no, it's not the no-salt diet). Anyway, I haven't been able to muster the will-power to return to it and test it out again, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has had similar experiences.

Thanks for listening. If any of you are the praying types, I could certainly use those prayers, and you'll be in mine...

Jenny

jennygirl

PS: from Jennygirl

Post by jennygirl »

Also, has this ever been found to be hormone related? I ask because there have been a few times when my symptoms have stopped for what seemed to be extended periods of time and then would start up again. When I was pg with my second child my rls subsided until 4 months after he was born and then it returned again. Also, sometime last spring (2003) it just stopped for a 2-3 month period and then started again. I've wondered what has been different during these times when it seems to go away...or is this just how rls behaves sometimes?

Thanks,
Jenny

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Jenny, there is so much we don't know about RLS. You ask good questions, I don't have the answers. Jumpyowl is starting a great project. Check out the link he has started about ORP. We are tyring to put together a question and answer "survey" and are asking people to think of information to add to it. I'm pretty sure your question about hormones has been thought of but you might check. As for personal experience, I have been on hormone replacement therapy for two years now. When the information came out about the damage HRT can cause, I discussed it with my gyn doctor and went off the medicine for awhile. My RLS got worse. After several months without HRT, I decided quality of life had to count for something. It's a good question and one that needs to be checked out. Good luck with your growing family and just hang in there. It has to be very hard not being able to take the meds that could help with the RLS. There is a good site rlsrebel that gives great ideas for non-pharmaceutical help for RLS. I know Sardsy has the link and you can find it on one of these threads. I should have looked it up before writing to you. Let us know how you are getting on.