wieght gain and Neurontin

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Roogirl

wieght gain and Neurontin

Post by Roogirl »

I've suffered from RLS most of my life. It's only been in the past 3 years that I have had a doctor treat me for it. I basically found out myself what was wrong with me and then researched it on the web and went to my doctor with all this. I was put on Sinemet and it was really working for me, until I think my body got used to it. I've suffered with back pain for over 15 years, but never thought the two could be linked together, until I read some of the posts. Interesting. I've found I started with RLS in just my feet and now it has gone up to my knees and I get it in my arms, but not as regularly as my legs. It only goes up to my elbows and the sensation is different to the sensation I get in my legs. In my arms, it's more of a throbbing pain, as if my bones were cold, and aching. Does anyone else get that in there arms? I've also noticed swelling in my hands for the past few months now, is that part and parcel of RLS?
Or is that from the medication?
Anyway, I was wondering, I was put on Neurontin today, starting at 1 tablet at night 300mg and I have to go back to my doctor in 2 weeks and see if I need the dose increased. Has anyone been on this and gained excessive wieght gain. I looked around the web and came across a person who said they put on excessive weight gain. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same side effect on this medication.
Also I was told this could be a hereitary thing, is this true? Will my kids have the possibility of getting this condition?
Can anyone answer any of my questions.
I'm also so glad to be able to talk to others who have this and not feel like I'm going mad or it's all in my head.

Irena
:D

sardsy75

Re: wieght gain and Neurontin

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Irena

Welcome to the mad mad world of RLS....and whatever else your body decideds to throw at you at the same time :wink:

Sinemet is a good drug, but is reknowned for it's augmentation problems (i.e. your body getting used to it); however, it's not uncommon to have a "drug holiday" from one drug, use another drug for a few weeks and then go back to the original one, particularly if you were having success with it. It's something to keep in mind as an option.

When my RLS first hit it was in both legs and both arms. My arms are under control these days, but my legs, well, they just don't want to do what they're told (actually when you think about it, it's the brain that isn't doing what it's told!).

I don't think i've heard of anyone else's hands swelling from RLS. You definietly should get that checked out, just to be sure.

Below is an extract from the rlshelp.org website on the topic "What is the
Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)?"

"RLS occurs most commonly in middle age and gets worse as one gets older. However, a large portion of patients (up to 43%) may have onset of the disease before age 20 (and often as a very young child). A family history is found in over 60% of RLS cases and new evidence point out possible linkage to chromosomes 5 and 10."

I had RLS as a child 20yrs ago, but noone could put a name to it then and it was put down to growing pains. It eventually disappeared only to rear its ugly head with a vengance last year.

After I was finally diagnosed with RLS a number of family members came out of the "woodwork" to identify themselves as fellow RLS sufferers. So far, I'm the only one in my generation to get it. Out of my mum's generation, three of them have it (including my mum), but to varying degree's. My mum's brother has it the worst; mum & her youngest sister have mild cases. In the generation before that, my
mum's father had it the worst. I can remember that for as long as Grandpa was alive, he never ever slept more than an hour or so a night. We believe he died not knowing that he had RLS. He has a brother and sister with RLS as well.

So, it definitely runs in the family here and i've resigned myself to the fact that if we ever get to have children then i'm more than likely going to pass it on to at leastt one :(

I have not used Neurontin so I'm not able to offer any advice. I've had the opposite problem with being on Cabaser and losing weight through a complete and utter loss of appetite. I've shed 28kgs so far. It sounds like a great thing, but it's not been fun.

Hope I've been able to shed some light on your questions for you.

Take care
Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

sardsy75

Had another thought

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi again

I just had another thought.

Keep a daily diary of what you eat, what drugs (both prescribed and alternative) you take and what your symptoms were like (if any).

This will give you more of an idea of how you're body is reacting to the treatments you are trying; and is a great record for each time you need to compare notes with your doctor.

Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

miamoss

Hi

Post by miamoss »

Well, I have been on Neurontin on/off for almost 3 years now. I have not gained any weight from it. Sometimes it can make you sleepy, which can make you lazy, whic I suppose could make you gain weight. Mostly it just relaxes your muscles though (at least for me).
RLS IS VERY HEREDITARY. My mother has it and so does my sister.
Neurontin is a good drug. I had typed earlier that I take 300ml a day, but that isn't correct (that was when I was on the 100ml pills). I am on the 300ml pills now and I take 2-3 of them around dinner, so I take 600-900ml a day. Some people take up to 3000-4000 a day. It's a great drug, been around for a long time now. Never heard anything bad about it. You will most likely need to take more than 300ml a day but who knows, it's so worth it to me. One bad thing though that I just read online yesterday that I never knew about was that sometimes Neurontin can begin to wear off, meaning your body can become used to it and it's stops working. This hasn't been the case with me yet, but damn I hope that isn't true.
Mia

miamoss

CAbaser and weight loss?

Post by miamoss »

Wow, I'd like to try that drug.
What other side effects if any?
Neurontin works 100% for me, but my weight gain is due to eating too much :-).

sardsy75

Re: CAbaser and weight loss?

Post by sardsy75 »

miamoss wrote:Wow, I'd like to try that drug.
What other side effects if any?
Neurontin works 100% for me, but my weight gain is due to eating too much :-).

There was a loooong list of sideeffects for the cabergoline (dostinex in u.s.) and i don't recommend the loss of apetite one. It's so bad that even the smell of what used to be my favourite food cooking now makes me want to gag just from the smell. Not fun.

I don't believe that dostinex is widely available over your way; just like mirapex ain't available here. But, if you do want some....join the queue!!
Nadia