regarding rls

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
ctravel12

regarding rls

Post by ctravel12 »

I have rls for quite some tiime. I am now on requip and do not like its effect. It makes me nauseated alot of times and my sleep habit is not good. I have seen a pill on the internet called Neurosil. Has anyone heard anything about it or even used it. Appreciate any info. that you can give me. My legs bother me at anytime of the day. I cannot take any long trips for riding in the car is miserable. I had to cancel a trip that we had scheduled for August. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Ctravel,

I have not tried Neurosil so I am unable to comment on how affective it may be. Since this is an OTC supplement, I tried to search online as to what the ingredients were but was unable to find out this information. Personally, I would not waste my money on the Neurosil.

I am so sorry that the Requip sideaffects are troubling you. Would you mind telling us the doseage you take, when you take it, etc. That may help others in responding to Requip and how it affects you. Did you always have problems with daily RLS or is it becoming worse since taking the Requip. Many times we find that our medications lose effectiveness after a while. This could be that your RLS is worsening or it could be augmentation. Please find the posts about augmentation and read them. See if you think this is what is happening.

Have you reviewed the Mayo Clinic Algroithm? In the New to RLS section there are sticky posts with information that is very helpful in managing your RLS treatment. There is also information there about taking a cocktail instead of one thing. Some researchers (and patients) feel that taking a little of two or three things is better than a lot of one thing.

In the meantime, *********Positive Energy************ hope it helps. I am sure others will post their insights soon. Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Dear Hazel
Thank you for your reply. I take 1mg of the requip and take it about 2-3 hours before retiring.. In thinking about what you said if the rls got worse taking the requip, yes it has. I appreciate the info on the nuerosil. I have rls for quite a number of years, but just lately they have become unbearable. Thanks for the other info that you gave me
ctravel

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Ctravel,

Nausea is one of the primary complaints with Requip. At least some find it goes away if they change how they take it, with food, without food, How long have you been on the Requip, did you start out with the starter packet and work up? Some have found starting at the lowest doseage possible and working up slowly helps reduce side effects.

Mirapex may be an alternative dopamine agonist. Requip and Mirapex are pretty similar. Mirapex lasts longer, Requip works faster. The side effects are different, so often when one doesn't work because of something, the other will.

Requip and Mirapex can be subsituted for each other at a rate of around 3:1 Requip to Mirapex without tapering or titrating (some doctors say 2:1, others 4:1, so you may need to discuss this with your doctor).

It is important to remember, if you have trouble with side affects from two dopamine agonists you probably are not going to be able to use them to treat your RLS. You may want to review the Mayo Clinic Algorithm - helps your doc find best treatment for you, print it out and share it with your doctor
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/in ... ef=7907crc

Traveling can be a nightmare. Even with medication (I use Ultram/Tramadol for daily RLS) I still schedule a lot of breaks in driving, so I can get out and walk. You will find some useful tips on managing RLS on Jill Gunzel's website http://members.cox.net/gunzel/rls.html

Another good RLS website is So. Cal. support group: comprehensive RLS med information, pages of letters answered by doctor on how to deal with RLS, links to other sites, etc. http://www.rlshelp.org/

Hope that some of this helps.

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Hazel
Thank you again for your reply. I am so happy that I found this site and somone else knows exaclty what I am going through. I started taking Requip in the beginning of the year and yes my dr did get me started on the starter package. I always take it with food at least I have had my dinner which was probably 2-4 hours later. It was fine then and then when I put in for a prescription she made it for 2 mg and then it got worse. I finally got another prescription for .5 mg did not work so had it for 1 mg and that me nauseated. It takes at least one hour before the requip kicks in and by then I am ready to scream. I used to take clozapem (I hope that is the correct spelling) but did not like the fact that it was a control substance. It also did not work that well but have to say I did not get nauseated from it. I feel like I am being a hermit afraid to take any long drives as that is not me. I love to travel. Forgive me for complaining. I usually have a high tolerance of pain, but this is something else. I would not wish this on my worse enemy.
Thanks for lisenting to me.
ctravel

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Hi ctravel,

maybe you can try to split the dose in 2 "helpings". Say 0.50mg at 1800/1900 and 0.50mg 1 -2 hours before bedtime. Might help with the nausea and might also be better for your RLS. Try it for 3 or 4 days and see how it goes (this is what I do)

Corrie

ctravel12

re rls

Post by ctravel12 »

Thanks Corrie for your info. How do you take your dosages as I still have some .5mg left? I am miserable daytime and nightime. Sometimes I could just scream. I am so happy with the support that I am gettng. It so important that people can relate to what you are going through. Thanks
ctravel

Ronda

Post by Ronda »

Also a couple of things I read on the board REALLY seem to help. Take a shower from the waist down as hot as you can stand it for 2 minutes, then as cool as you can stand it for 45 seconds. I do this a few times a day if I need to and I am at home. Also caffiene seems to really bug RLS for some reason. I thought it was a hoax but it is really helping, I think. I am not totally decaffed yet because of the headaches I was experiencing trying to go cold turkey. I am just having a cup in the morning now. Also , if you have access to someone that can massage your (want to say butt here) hips and tighs for 2 minutes that seems to give some relief. I ask my husband to do it only for 2 minutes so he doesn't get tired of doing it cause I ask him atleast once a day to do it. Hope this helps you and thanks to the people that posted those ideas.

Ronda

ctravel12

re rls

Post by ctravel12 »

Thanks for your info Ronda. I rarely have anything with caffeine as I know that is a big problem with rls. I would like to quit taking requip but do not know if I would be able to sleep as my legs really drive me crazy. I am going to see if a health food store would have any OTC that would help. I am willing to try anything. On the internet I had seen a boot massage which actually is called Air Boot Massager. It runs around $40. Has anyone used it? Do not know if it would be helpful with rls. Any info I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your help.
ctravel

ctravel12

re augmentation

Post by ctravel12 »

Dear Hazel
You had mentioned about a post on augmentation. Where can I find that. I am new at this site and was looking around and cannot find it. Thank you for your help.
ctravel

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear CT-The following quote is in the New to RLS section sticky posts...

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1068&start=0

from Ann
Augmentation = RLS symptoms occur more frequently, earlier in the day or more severely. This is only caused by the dopamine agonist drugs (Requip, Sinemet, Permax, Mirapex, etc.). Symptoms usually revert to the prior level when the drug is stopped

You can select the search at the top of the page and type in augmentation to find more discussions on augmentation...

Corrie's suggestion is a good one. You might try that for a few days and see how you respond.

Managing RLS is so individual (I can drink coffee, but brewed tea will set my RLS off even tho I am on medications which control my RLS) and it may take some time before you find the proper treatment for your RLS, in the meantime know we are all here for you!

In severe RLS cases, many of the tips and tricks, such as massage, in my instance watching the tv on mute and reading the captions, etc are only temporary ... yet they can help you to get through the night with less pain.

Please review the Mayo Clinic algorithm for the medications used to treat RLS ... in the new to RLS section (link above) Ann discusses her take on RLS treatment protocals, it is very informative and I found it very helpful.

*********Positive Energy***********

Rowing alongside the others, stirring up HOPE, Howling at the moon with Becat, Hazey

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Ctravel: I take 1 mg of Requip, have been for over 4 years. Just divide your doses into 2.
I have to agree with my neuro and from experience: more is not always better and less chance, I should think, of augmentation.
I have 24/7 RLS and lost even my job of it. Because 1 mg of Requip didn't do the trick, my neuro added Neurontin in the evening and Tramadol for daytime use in the course of time.
The meds (except for Tramadol) take away my energy, but it is always better than horrible RLS: just my opninion.

I am sure that with trial and error there will be a good combo of meds for you too.

Corrie

dhintze

Neurosil has really helped!

Post by dhintze »

I found Neurosil by accident about a month ago. I am 40, and otherwise healthy, but have had a lot of difficulty with RLS. It does run in my family, but I think I have th worst case of it! An older coworker of mine also suffers from RLS, and she had mentioned Neurosil to me.

I think you may only be able to order it online or by phone. I was desperate quite honestly, and willing to try anything.

I had tried REQUIP, and I really hated that. I felt that it was not REALLY helping with the RLS, seemed like it could've been making my case worse. AND I probably suffered from all the side effects. Drowsiness, tired, unable to focus at work, nausea every day..I felt that it actually altered my mood too.

So, I've stopped taking it. And I am healthy, and take no other medications, so for those who are on other meds I don't know how this will work.

I tried all the other recommendations too...baths/massaging your legs, on and on, and that doesn't work for me.

For me, the Neurosil is shockingly amazing. I am not kidding! I do agree that their website looks like a lot of hype, but I really feel like I could be one of the people quoted on their website! What I liked about it is that the ingredients are really all natural. YOu could get them from a vitamin store.

So, I ordered the stuff and have been taking for about a month, and honestly, my restless legs are really a thing of the past. I went to a late movie last night (two and a half hours), and got to watch the whole thing with NO discomfort -- I never left my seat. I really feel no side effects either. No nausea, no drowsiness, no restless legs at work during the day time....I was getting to the point where I would have to stand by my desk to work! My life is really getting back to normal. I am flying across the country this week, and i am not at all worried about WHICH seat I will get, or which other passengers I might kick! My significant other can also sleep with me at night. It does not give you a drowsy sleep. I don't notice any effects, except maybe a little bit of a boost in my energy level, which is okay with me!

A couple of things to note...it does not work immediately like the ad seems to say. I probably took 3 days of doses before it worked, but since then I am happy. It does have an awful smell to it! But that is okay with me. The Neurosil does not kick in immeiately or give you that drowsy sleep, so I have to take the evening pills around 8:45 or 9 pm if I'm normally going to go to bed at 11.

I would encourage anyone and everyone to try it.

ctravel12

regarding rls

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Dhintze I also saw the website for neurosil and was going to order it but was leary as it does not give any ingredients. You said that it takes about 3 days to work into your system. Did you take anything else those three days, if not, did you have problems with rls? The site said to take it in the morning and evening. Is that what you are doing? I also take Requip and it does help my legs but not my sleeping habit.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

dhintze

Neurosil has really helped!

Post by dhintze »

Hi Charlene,

I am a little cautious about mixing drugs, and since the REQUIP was the only prescription I was taking..not even any birth control. I felt that I needed to really let that stuff get out of my system before I tried the neurosil. IN addition, it did take a couple of days before I got the stuff in the mail anyway.

I did have RLS symptoms for those first three days, and it was miserable. I probably tried to take something like tylenol pm just to get me to fall asleep, and quite honestly I just had to suffer through it. Somewhere on about the third day, I just starting feeling like my old self.

It actually comes with two different formulas...one for mornng and one for nighttime. When you order, you get two bottles that are well marked and the ingredients of each are listed I take two of the morning pills around 8:00 a.m. and two of the evening pills at around 9:00 p.m. I really don't notice any effects with the exception of the extra alertness.

I DID find a list of ingredients somewhere before I ordered the product. But I can't recall how I found that. I knew it was all natural stuff, and I knew the Gingko gave the alert feelings, so I was a little worried about taking that.

I have just ordered three more bottles...they have a buy 2 get one free price level, and I am really so happy that I spent another $140 or so for my next order. I don't have my bottles with the ingredients for this current product because I gave that to my coworker.

If you can't find the ingredients on their website, let me know, and I'll put a list of the ingredients on from my next order.

I wish you the best. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Debra