Neurontin

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
denisefs

Neurontin

Post by denisefs »

Jumpy I addressed a paragraph to you, but after re-reading it was meant for nightman. :oops: I do hope that Topamax continues to give you relief. Keep us posted ok :)

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Just a FYI. Neurontin can cause nausea for awhile but your body does become used to it. I haven't had any other side effects with it but I am on a low dose which may also be part of the trouble now since I am having more difficulties with my legs than in quite a while. If our Neurontin cure buddy is watching this post (even though she says she won't), I was hoping she would reply to my post with something besides sarcasm and defensiveness. She asked about anyone else on Neurontin and I responded with how it works for me. Is anyone else on this and how does it work for you? What is your dose? Anyway, that's the important part of this. Hope everyone sleeps well.

jumpyowl

Neurontin, again

Post by jumpyowl »

Your mental health professional is a treasure. She realizes that depression is often the effect and not the cause. Hurray for her. :o

There is really no disagreement in this thread. We all agree that the anticonvulsants seem to work well in treating RLS symptoms often in a combination with another agent. The best known and publicized is Neurontin. There are several others included in the exhaustive discussion of pharmacologic treatment of RLS by the California group.

I happened to get hold of another anticonvulsant, Topamax, which I tried out by itself and with Hydrocodone. It appeared to work well on the sensations. I have not tried Neurontine because my doctor has not yet pescribed it for me (he is still stuck on hydrocodone). I am sure eventually I will give it a try even if I have to change doctors. :wink:

The only point that was difficult to clarify in this thread that Neurontine is not a cure for RLS. :roll: It apparently works well for some people and does not work so well for others. I am not among either of those.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for this affliction and everyone has to work out (with his/her doctor) what works the best.

So Denise, even though I am at the very beginning of my treatment (just had a sleep lab test) I can already control the symptoms fairly well, with hydrocodone, benzodiazapine and anticonvulsant.

Please let us know of your experience with Neurontine and anything else your doctor may suggest. Be careful with antidepressants as they may aggravate RLS symptoms.
Jumpy Owl

denisefs

Neurontin

Post by denisefs »

Well ok, tried Neurontin for the first time last night. Doc started me with 100 mgs for 5 days, then 200 for 5 days and finally 300 for 5, after that I see her again in a month. The good part was my legs seemed to be a bit better :) The bad news is that I had severe stomach cramping, combined with constipation and a constant urge to go. It then changed over to very loose bowel movements, but still bad cramping :cry: .So again I was up till 4am. I'm even a bit crampy this morning. No nausea though. I'm not sure if this is coincidental or not :?: . Has anyone else experienced what I described? I'm a bit leery about taking it again tonite, but a true diehard. If it happens again, I suppose I will have a 3month supply of Neurontin up for bid :wink:.

Question: What site do I check to read side effects of prescription drugs? Someone posted about a weight loss with cabergoline, but also said there are a lot of side effects.

Thanks everyone for your very informative replys. Jumpy, I must say "you really do your homework"!

Irena

Post by Irena »

http://www.crazymeds.org/neurontin.html

http://www.psycom.net/depression.centra ... entin.html

Hi all,

Above are 2 of the sites that I visited on neurontin/Gabapentin....
There are other sites that I've gone to, but these to I booked marked.
My craziness side effects have gone away, I wrote in here the topic, moods swings on Neurontin postings.....what I did come across on this drug, and I"m not sure if it's on one of these two web sites, but I read it's not good for the gasto system....I also have GERD and I can't take my zantac and acifex med's with Neurontin....I have to make sure I do take them a few hours before taking Neurontin, but I think the Neurontin is killing the affects of my GERD med's. So if you read my postings experience on Neurontin...your not alone....Also on my bottle of Med's (Neurontin) the other named used for Neurontin is Gabapentin...well that's whats on the bottle...so when you go to one of these sites...they refer to it mainly as Gabapentin....

I'll let everyone know what my doctor's tells me next week...
I did have to see a different doctor once, cuz mine wasn't available to see. Well she was totally about herself and she knew it all. I went only to get a refill on my sinemet which I was on at the time, I'd ran out and I was feeling low, cuz of lack of sleep. Well she gave me prozac! I walked out thinking she had given me my refill, I looked down on the refill form only to read prozac. I had read enough about not taking antidepressants which trigger or make worse RLS...my husband and I walked back into her office and told her this....and she wrote me out what I actally wanted, which was sinemet...and I said well what about this script for prozac...she tells me well never mind you can still have it.....Ummmm......my husband and I walked out shaking our heads and thinking grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I've always taken my husband with me on my doctors visists, just to prove that what is going on really is going on...the lack of sleep...the craziness of my legs and so on....I always feel like they won't believe me....but when you see a doctor like that one....you just want to say to them....listen and learn please....and if you don't know...research it and then come back to me please.....The only thing that came out of her mouth that made any sense to me was " Did I have a sleep study done yet?"...And then the usually blood tests she sent me for even though my doc had done them all already.....but you gotta laugh at them...or you'd cry....anyway...that was way off the topic....sorry peoples... :oops:

Anyway....hope this helps...and if you come across any more sites...please let me know... :)

Irena
Try to make others laugh or smile and try to have a laugh once a day. Try to keep on going even if its a bad day of pain. Don't give up keep pushing and smiling.

jumpyowl

Side effects

Post by jumpyowl »

Denise, you inspired me to look up the side effects of neurontin:

Here they are, admitted to by Parke Davis:

"Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Neurontin.

When taken for nerve pain, more common side effects may include:
Accidental injury, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, headache, infection, lack of muscular coordination, nausea, swelling in arms and legs, vomiting, weakness

A wide variety of uncommon and rare side effects have also been reported. If you develop any new or unusual symptoms while taking Neurontin, be sure to let your doctor know."

I guess something to look forward to. :roll:

Seriously, Denise, your side effects are serious enough to warrant a call to your doctor. BTW Loperamide (2 mgs 2x) I find good to control loose bowles and cramps but since you also had constipation to contend with...?

Well, truth be known, so neurontin is not such a harmless elixir after all... :? Perhaps I had better stick with Topamax and be a pioneer! :wink:

You all have a great day!

P.S. Whoops, while composing the post to Denise, Irena posted. Popular thread this has become. :wink:
Jumpy Owl

jumpyowl

Doctors!!!

Post by jumpyowl »

Irena, I think you were right on the target. Our society has become so much targeted on the ME, ME, ME, MY, MY, MY, MINE, MINE, MINE, that honestly I think it has started to affect rational, objective thinking. Why would such an egocentric person would become a physician? It is a good question since they make lousy ones. But they do!!! And unless the patients speak up for their rights they get away literally with (only occasionally) murder.

And anyway PROSAC, the wonder drug, is pushed on patients way too much IMHO.

As you discovered the trade name is Neurontin and the generic name is gabapentin.

It is a good idea to take someone (especially your spouse) to the doctor. There is definitely a psychological advantage.

Waiting to hear what your doc will come up with next week!
Last edited by jumpyowl on Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

denisefs

Neurontin

Post by denisefs »

Hi All,
Thanks Irena and Jumpy for the helpful website info and the list of side effects. I'm still contemplating giving it shot a again tonite. Crazy huh?

I think it helped with my restlessness in my knees. I might have been too busy going back and forth from the bed to the couch to the toilet. I probably didn't notice, since I wasn't immobile long enough. :lol:

If the cramping doesn't stop altogether soon. than of course I won't try it again.

:arrow: BTW, I would like to thank everyone for creating this site. All this time I thought it was something in my head........ :idea: I can remember when I was little, my mom would sit on the edge of the bed all night and rub her legs. She would be moaning "Ohhhh, my legs" then take the bolsters off the back of the hi-riser and sleep with her legs propped up on top of them. Being young, I guess I didn't pay too much attention. Now she's not around to ask :( . This site is almost as good as having mom around to ask advice. Heartfelt thanks to you all!!!

Talk to you guys soon,
Happy sleeping!