New here with a lot of questions...

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Cait

New here with a lot of questions...

Post by Cait »

Hi everyone! It is 2:30 and here I am. Over the past few months I have been wondering if I have RLS...ever since those commercials came out. I have always been a leg mover in bed. I hate the sheets tucked in because it impedes my movement. I am always tired...always. I have had two sleep studies done and they came up fine, no sleep apnea. But now I am wondering if it is RLS. I am a leg jiggler. For a long time now I have been most interested in using the treadmill after I have gotten into bed. I always wondered why I was motivated to exercise after I was done for the day. Lately, in bed, it feels like all I want to do is flutter kick my legs until they are so tired the feeling goes away. I do not have the creepy crawly feeling and it does not hurt, thankfully. I just feel like I need to move. Could RLS be the reason I have been tired all my adult life? Could this be the reason I sleep better during naps than at night? Could RLS have started 20 years ago when I was in high school and I just didn't know it? That's how long I have been tired. Could it be getting worse? And now with the commercial out I have finally realized what is going on? I think I will call my doctor on Monday. Any input is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Cait.

Caity

Post by Caity »

Oh come on, somebody...anybody...please? Just a "yeah me too" or a "nope that's not RLS" would suffice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Caity,

We don't get a lot of readers on the weekend - unlikely too many people have seen your post yet, and they may not really know what to say. It's so hard to diagnose someone else - it's such a personal feeling. By Monday, several others should have chimed in, too.

The best I can offer is to read the 4 criteria for RLS. There are listed within this thread (which is a great thread if you decide you have RLS) and I'll copy them here, too.

1 Uncomfortable sensation in the legs with a clear need or urge to move the legs. The sensation may be described in many different ways from aching and pulling to creepy crawling feelings. The sensations can also be painful, not just uncomfortable. But in the end, all sufferers can clearly identify a need or urge to move the legs as a driving force behind their complaint. Some individuals may have symptoms not only in the legs but also in the arms or body.

2 The symptoms are worse at night. This may be only at bedtime or it may start in the evening when trying to sit for any period of time. Some individuals may have symptoms throughout the day but these symptoms will always be worse at night and be at their best sometime in the morning.

3 The symptoms come on with rest. Whether trying to lie quiet at bedtime or sitting through a long plane flight during the day, the sensations are likely to strike. Whether trying to sit through a movie or quietly reading a book, the symptoms will make what used to be an enjoyable event, a most unbearable one. You cannot rest; you cannot relax; you cannot slep another night.

4 The symptoms are relieved with movement. All sufferers learn quickly that getting up and walking will immediately relieve the symptoms. However, as soon as the individual settles back into a restful state the symptoms will usually return. Any movement of the legs will usually bring about some immediate, although temporary relief. If the legs are not moved, they may jump on their own. In some individuals, there may be semi-involuntary movements of the legs preceded by only a very brief sensation. Most individuals with Restless Legs Syndrome will have rhythmic or semi-rhythmic movements of their legs while they are asleep. Although they may not be aware of their movement, usually their bed partner is. It is this movement of the legs, this constant walking to ward off the sensation, that gives the viewer the perception of the sufferer being restless, thus the term Restless Legs Syndrome.

Do you think this applies to you? The most important criteria here is that movement makes it go away. Some people do not have pain or creepy crawly or any sensation. But everyone finds relief with movement. If you can definitely say yes, then I hate to welcome you to our little "club" but welcome. We have some great advice here throughout the older posts. The post I listed above will help you determine how to go about resolving it or what to look for when seeking treatment.

Let us know what you think.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Cait

Post by Cait »

Thank you for posting. Yeah, I guess I should have figured with the weekend there would be few members on.

I hate to say it but I think I am a club member. When I am laying in bed all I want to do is move, stretch and kick. Moving helps, as long as I am moving. I do a lot of stretching trying to make the feeling go away. I have stretched my legs so hard to try to keep the feeling away that I have gotten muscle spasms in my abdomen. When the stretch is done the feeling comes back and my abdomen hurts. It feels like I have a lot of pent up energy in my legs and it just bugs me until I get it out. Funny thing is, I never seem to get it all out. I feel like I would have to do some major exercise (to the point of sheer exhaustion) to feel better. I feel like I want to run a marathon or pound my legs up and down 1,000 flights of stairs. But I am already so tired... Right now, my legs are bouncing.

Well, after reading some posts I can tell you that if it is RLS, it is very mild. I can not believe what some of you folks are going through.

Hugs all around. I am going to call my Doc on Monday.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Caity,

How are things going? Hope you were able to get in to see the doctor!

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Kwazylegs

Post by Kwazylegs »

Hi Cait,
Sorry for the long time to reply. How'd the doctor's appointment go? Sleep studies are used for different reasons, including apnea, RLS, and Periodic Limb Movements. I read somewhere that RLS and Periodic Limb movements are related in that people with RLS usually also have PLMS. Did your sleep study results say anything about any abnormal leg movements? I also have this need to stretch my legs in the early morning hours, and this stretching pushes on my right sciatic nerve, which tends to wake me up. It's important for you to get an accurate diagnosis. RLS can be secondary to other things (neuropathies, nutritional deficiencies, etc.). This group's postings are full of information, experience, and links to many aspects of this disease. I hope that you don't have RLS, but if you do, take comfort in the reality that you're not alone, and that other caring people here will take the time to share their experience, compassion, knowledge and hope with you. Hope your day is going well, and again accept my apologies for not responding sooner. ---Andy

Cait

Post by Cait »

Hi there!

I have not been to the doctor yet... I have an appointment on Wednesday.

Thanks for your input and concern. I'll keep you posted!

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Cait wrote:It feels like I have a lot of pent up energy in my legs and it just bugs me until I get it out. Funny thing is, I never seem to get it all out. I feel like I would have to do some major exercise (to the point of sheer exhaustion) to feel better. I feel like I want to run a marathon or pound my legs up and down 1,000 flights of stairs. But I am already so tired... Right now, my legs are bouncing.

Cait...If you don't have RLS then I don't either 'cause you've described very well my symptoms. It's weird tho, 'cause even though my legs feel like they have "pent up energy" they also feel like they are extremely fatigued. And like you and nearly everyone else here on the rls.org Forum, I'm continually stretching to relieve the sensation, but the stretching only relieves it during the stretch...and hey, "Right now, my legs are bouncing" too.
One thing I'm wondering about tho, you said you have had sleep studies in your Introductory post, and they came out "fine". I think usually, and I hope someone else will jump in on this thought, leg movement is one of the things they look for in a sleep study so if you see a Neurologist, maybe if he sees those sleep study results he can tell you more about that.
Don't let the Doctor trivialize your condition. Don't let him/her blow it off either. If they can't help you find someone who can.
Good Luck
God Bless
Randy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The sleep studies only find PLMD - they don't find RLS. And, in some cases, they don't even find the PLMD! An astute sleep clinician can note RLS - that you can't fall asleep, that you are moving instead of falling asleep. But, mostly they look for apnea.

When I had my first study, the guy kept saying about how he was so great at detecting apnea. About 25 minutes after I fell asleep (three hours after I was wired up), they woke me to put on a mask! I was so confused as I don't even snore!

It turns out the the sleep starts they noticed were because of the leg movements and apnea patients often also have PLMD. So, they just "assumed" I had apnea, even though I didn't have the other characteristics like low oxygen or stopping breathing. I spent the rest of the night tossing and turning, dealing with RLS - that they didn't "find" because I wasn't sleeping - and unable to handle that weird mask.

In the morning, the tech was confused - he said that everyone with apnea loves the mask because the finally sleep well. He couldn't figure out why I never slept. Duh.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.