..So to summarise?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
mjkinch

..So to summarise?

Post by mjkinch »

I am based in the UK and found this site through Google. Its a pretty good site with lots of information, and it makes me realise that my RLS is pretty managable compared with some of you guys.

There is so much info here, it would be nice to have a summary of things to try, or things that have been tried, so I could work my way through them, and see what works. There are some many handy tips, but hey all seemed tucked away in postings. Is there a central 'give this a try' section, that list everything?

I wake up most nights around 2am to 3/4am with RLS, even when I am so tired, it still wakes me, then my wife. I have tried a massager (works sometimes), going for a run (seems to be worse), step classes (no help) running on the spot at night when RLS happens (helps but then wakes me up), cutting back on Coffee/Tea (helps but only to a degree), Ibuprofen (works OK, but don't like taking medication), hot milk (makes me want to get up and go to the loo), laying on a cold floor face down (seems to help), trying to concentrate on ignoring it (sometimes works), self hypnosis (maybe sometimes it works), drinking (not really helpful). GP has suggested relaxants, but I am desp. trying to stay away from medications. Ibuprofen works most times, but only after I have woken up, and takes about 20 minutes to kick in.

Also why is it cyclic?, this time it has lasted about 4 months, but will go away hopefully for a couple of months, before it is back again.

Anyway if there is a non medication checklist let me know!

Also any contacts you have in the UK would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Martyn

jan3213

Medicine checklist

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Martyn, I'm Jan

Welcome

I'll get right to the point: Then I'll do my official welcome in another post. Coincidentially, one of our best members just started a medical alert list. It's under Pharmaceutical/Warning--Drugs to Avoid. It's a work in progress, but I think you'll find it useful.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

jan3213

Official Welcome to Martyn

Post by jan3213 »

This is Jan again!

Glad you've found us! Yes, we have bits of information scattered about on this forum, but if you get used to it, it's not too bad. However, we do have, under General, a thread called ORP (Our Research Project) which might help you. It contains questions that many of us have come up with to help people determine if they do, indeed, have RLS. Also, under New to RLS/New Members and Current Members Please Help, many of us have completed biographies which list information about each of us, including age, gender, how long we've had RLS, medications we're on, etc. You'll see where mine is located at the bottom of this post. We'd appreciate you filling one out if you would like to. There are many people on this forum who are ready, willing and able to help you. We have people who are extremely knowledge in pharmaceuticals, people who are really good at researching almost anything you may need to know, and people who are willing to listen when you need an ear or a shoulder when you've had a bad night (and, believe me, we' ALL had them!). I seem do to best at welcoming, but if you have specific questions, ask away. One of our more knowledgeable members will assist you almost immediately!! You've found a family!!

Welcome!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

claradragon

English!

Post by claradragon »

Hi Martyn, welcome.

I'm from the little uk myself (actually I originate from clwyd,not far from you). 8)

If you got to the top of the page you will find 4 drop down links. Go to the support groups section and click on international links and you will find two links for the uk.

Unfortunatly we don't have a listing for practitioners but i have been lucky with my doc and i'm now on neurontin (gabapentin) and tamazepam (restoril).

Here's a site than can help with finding alternative ways of dealing with rls
http://www.rlsrebel.com

Arm yourself with knowledge it is the greatest weapon against rls.

Keep reading the posts and you will find lots of useful information and some of the more interesting ways of dealing with this nightmare will at least bring a smile to your face :D

Oh just one last thing...try using solpadeine max instead of ibubrofen, the codeine in it usually helps with rls.

Claradragon
My bio is on pg1/new to rls/new members and current members please help.My diary is under new to rls/is there light at the end of the tunnel?

mjkinch

Post by mjkinch »

Thanks for the feedback. My GP is pretty good, he understood the problem and told me he had a number of people he dealt with that had the problem of RLS. He prescribed me tamazepam, but it sits unopened in my bedside table at present. I will try the solpadine however, and see how that goes on.

Thanks for your support

Martyn

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Clara/Martyn

Below is a link to the Ekbom Support Group, which is the UK based RLS group. It may have some useful info for you:

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/paulkelly/welcome.htm

Take care!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!