HI! I'm new here!

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
neelia

HI! I'm new here!

Post by neelia »

Wow! What a great find! You have an amazing board! I am new to the site, but not new to RLS. Today when I called my doc to tell her the Requip wasn't working, she put me on Clonazepam. When I questioned about driving while taking it, she said not to. However, when I drive I have symptoms. To that she answered, "Well, there isn't anything else I can give you."

I am sure you all can help me find some relief!!
My doc thinks I am crazy!

:roll:

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Neelia,

You have found a great site for information which may help your doctor find an affective treatment for your RLS. Review the sticky posts in New to RLS in particular the Mayo Clinic Algorithm which lists medications used to treat RLS.

It was helpful for me to read the list of medications which may cause RLS to worsen... and to avoid using these!

If you have any questions we will try to do our best to help you find the answers! Glad to have you join us!

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

becat

Post by becat »

Hi Neelia and welcome to the board,
Your doc is nuts, so there! Not you.
There are something like 30+ plus medication and an umphth number of combinations to use them. So doc your undereducated and wrong.
Print out ( I never told you to do this) the RLS Algorthim at this link and your doc will see that she could choose from many things.
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... thm%20RLS'

this is the Mayo Clinic's guide for treatment and diagnosis. It's easy to follow and it list different meds in the same class as Requip, like Mirapex, that could be tried. Uuffaaa these docs are getting to me.
How long will it take us to educate them. If your doc will not listen fire them and find someone that will partner with you, you'll need just that.....a partner in treatment. This is not an easy disorder and you'll likely be a long term patient, so someone willing to work with you is key.

Your welcome here, its a great place, wonderful, if not the best people, and there are no limits to the support and caring you'll find here. Post anywhere, anytime, you wish. We learn best from one another here.
Only sorry to cyber meet you because of your RLS.
Hugs and the moon to you
Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Neelia, there are about 25 other things to try :) - that's the good news. The bad news is that you now have to get "up to speed" and then educate your doc. The worse news is that not all things work for everyone - many of us have had to try 2, 3 5, even 10 things to get something the works.

The great news? All that information is here! Well, except the part about you having to try them. . . I wish we could help with that :cry:

A great place to start is the Managing RLS "sticky" post in this section. It will guide you through everything you and your doc need to get a grip on the RLS. There is an algorithm you can print out and take to your doc - it was very helpful to me - helped me know if my doc was trying the right things or not.

Welcome to the board - glad you found it and hope you find the information to help you and your doc get that RLS in control.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

neelia

Post by neelia »

Wow! What a friendly group!! :o

becat

Post by becat »

sorry for the wrong info, make that 25 not 30+ in the meds area.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

hi neelia,

you've been welcomed by the best there is!
Beware the Penguin

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

There may be 30! I haven't counted recently :wink: . I was just thinking there had to be at least 25 and couldn't remember what it was the last time I did count :oops: ! If you count the ones that only work for a few people, it may be 40!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

neelia

Post by neelia »

Thanks for the warm welcome!! I have been reading the threads like crazy & learning so much!!!