restless arms?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
mitodd

restless arms?

Post by mitodd »

I've had restless leg syndrome for years and take requip for it. However, I've begun to get the same thing in my left arm! Has anyone ever heard of the syndrome showing up in arms? I'm hoping an increase in my requip does will help it, it's driving me crazy.

brandy

Post by brandy »

I have always gotten symptoms in my wrists on bad days. Pay attention to how you are feeling with regard to your legs, because the Requip might not be working as well as it was. How long have you been on Requip? Are you noticing any changes in the symptoms in your legs? The reason I ask is I was on Requip and eventualy augmented and can't take it anymore. It only happens in a small percentage of people, but I didn't know about it, so I want to make sure and let other people know. Keep us updated.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear mitodd,

I have experienced RLS in all parts of my body (except for my nose*big grin*), primarily it is my legs and arms, sometimes facial.

Brandy is right, DAs do cause augmentation, worsening of rls sensations, experiencing rls in areas not normally affected. Use the search option at the top of the page and search for previous topics regarding augmentation. It may be better to alternate between two DAs ie Mirapex and Requip instead of increasing the Requip doseage.

The new to RLS section sticky posts also has useful information you may find helpful.

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

mitodd

Post by mitodd »

Thanks for the responses. Turns out I was on a very low does of requip, only .25, and most work up to 1.0 within a few weeks. It's been several months since I started it, so we have just now gone up to .50. I've never heard of that other drug, but I will look into it as well. I'd hate if the requip stopped working all together, I think I'd go out of my mind!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

mitodd, even though you were on a very low dose, the fact that is started in a place it didn't used to be could be a problem.

Please read the "sticky" post in the Pharma section. It talks about a phenomenon called augmentation - where the drug makes the symptoms worse. Many of us wish we had known about it earlier than we did. Continuing to take the drugs when this starts can permanently make the RLS worse.

Hazel had a great point. Please consider NOT upping your dose of Requip and trying Mirapex instead. It's the same class of drug and works similarly. You'll be able to start out taking just .125 mg of it. That would be equal to .375 mg of Requip.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

neelia

Post by neelia »

My arms only bother me occasionally, and then only during my menses. :oops:

mitodd

Post by mitodd »

Since going up on the requip my arm is doing better, though not cured. I will have to look into what you said because I certainly don't want to agitate the syndrome worse with the meds meant to help it! I need to find a doctor who is familiar with this business. Thanks!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yes, as others have told you, you can get these sensations anywhere in your body.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

I get it bad in my arms some nights, as bad as it is in my legs.
But, as long as I take my Hydrocodone it relieves it, no matter where it is.

walkindafloors

Post by walkindafloors »

I use to take Bextra which really helped my arms, but now they've taken it off the market. Not sure if the Ultram/Lyrica combo is helping the arms cause my legs are acting up so badly lately haven't noticed my arms as bad.

steelergal78

RLS or RBS (Body)...

Post by steelergal78 »

I've got it all over. Sometimes it feels like I'm having an epileptic fit it gets so bad. It's been in my face, hands, arms, ... everywhere.

I had an episode last night. Started around 11:15 and kept me up til about 1:30 and that was AFTER I had taken the 2mg of Requip!! Still had to get up at 6:00 a.m. for work. I'm exhausted!! :!:

I'm so seriously considering having my doctor write me off on disability. This is getting insane and it's taking me with it!! :(

ctravel12

restless arms

Post by ctravel12 »

Dear Steelergal78
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. Do you take Requip before going to bed? I know that I take it at least 1-2 hrs before retiring and it does let me sleep.
I hope that your dr can do something for you. Please keep in touch with us and let us know how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

walkindafloors

Post by walkindafloors »

Oh, can I relate, Steelergal! The past two nights I've slept less than 2 1/2 hours. Sometimes I think I am really going crazy (especially when the alarm goes off at 6:30 am!). My doctor made me real mad when I shared some of the info I've learned here, she got defensive and short with me. When I talked about the Sinamet rebounding, she said "Sinamet doesn't do that." She wanted to put me back on requip, telling me I didn't pass out from the drug, but from getting up too quickly (da, side effect of requip is drop in BP leading to possible fainting!). After pacing the floors, taking 2 baths and one shower, and finally falling off to sleep around 4:30 am, I decided to tell her to send me to someone else. First time I got a call back from a dr. so quickly - think she was more than happy to send me on packing. So next time you're up in your epileptic fit, know you are NOT out there alone! I've already been blessed to be able to get on here and "talk" to others who are up and in the same condition (alone in the house when everyone else is enjoying the night sleeping) in the early am hours. My problem is when I've gotten worked into a full fit, I can't sit still to type :evil: ! Didn't mean to ramble - just know you're not alone and I'll be thinking of you as I'm up walkin.

bmwflora

RLS and arms

Post by bmwflora »

I've had RLS since I was very young.. started off sporadically in one leg or the other (got me in trouble for "fidgeting" in school many times), and over the years has gotten steadily worse (both legs, daily, now w/ pain) and about 8 years ago, I had my first episode in my arms (both)... I was very surprised and dismayed.. but unfortunately, the problem does now recur from time to time. I have had it in most of my body at one time or another, as well, in the years since. Once, I had it in my entire body all at once. It really was the worst feeling ever, and I thought I'd never get to sleep that night( and didn't until about 6AM). Fortunately, it is usually (for me) just in my legs, and I haven't had that terrible experience again.
Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous. Confucius

M0onDreamr

Restless Arms

Post by M0onDreamr »

I am so confused. I have been seeing a neurologist since July for a headache that just will not go away. He did MRI, MRA, MRV of brain, cervical MRI, CT Scan, about a dozen X-Rays, and an EMG and I didn't see him again until just last week. The last 2 times I was in his assistant kept asking me how much stress was in my life and mad me think I was crazy because I still have headache and an occasional migrane or numb left arm and hand. I have been on muscle relaxers off and on since August. Finally last month the assistant told me that I have degeneration in C3-C6 and C7 is herniated, and again insisted it was just stress.

I finally got ticked off enough to demand to see the neurologist. I told him about the 'twitching' in my arms, hands, face, and torso. Sometimes so bad you can see it, always bad enough that other people can feel it. Not too much in my legs, just numb every once in a while, or my knees will buckle for no reason. He immediately said it was RL and gave me some samples and a prescription of Requip. I was so stunned I actually asked him "In my arms?" like maybe he hadn't heard me right or something. Then he gave me another prescription for Zanaflex (muscle relaxers for my neck), and physical therapy for neck, and ordered a bunch of bloodwork for iron and diabetes and stuff.

I am 26 years old. I have already had to have both knees operated on (torn lateral meniscus), was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis because of the anti-biotic Clindamycin (infection after wisdon teeth removed), and now this thing with my neck. My mom had to have surgery on her neck to repair the same sort of damage a few years ago... she is only 48 and was just diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis 3 weeks ago (her mom is in the advance stages because it wasn't diagnosed until she was in her late 60's). I haven't taken the Requip yet, I'm kinda debating on getting a second opinion first. He hasn't even done the bloodwork yet, plus he wants another doctor to do some kind of injections in the nerves in my neck to get rid of the headaches. I cannot for the life of me remember what the injection is called, but if its cortizone I'm gonna cry!! :cry: (that stuff hurts!!)

I'm sorry for rambling on, but I am really scared..... and totally confused. Could I have done this to myself? I love my caffeine and my energy drinks but have started weaning myself off of them. Could it really be stress because I am started college on Monday? Could all of the pain pills from the surgeries do this? Could the colitis be doing this? One of the blood tests he ordered was a c diff? Thank you all for listening.

Just a M0ondreamr in Ohio