restless arms?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

What a tough place you are in! So sorry you had to find us - hope that we can at least give you a place to vent, even if we can't solve this all for you.

Moondreamer, this may seem way out there, but with your history and your mom's of having an autoimmune disorder, would you please have a test for celiac disease? Please don't get freaked, but colitis can be misdiagnosed as CD, and weird neurological symptoms are common with CD, as is RLS. My DH has it - that's why I know a little about it. If you want more info, let me know. There is a post on here (somewhere) that explains the tests to have done. Some docs will not want to test is you don't have the "classic" symptoms, but the smart docs now realize that many people do not have the classic symptoms.

Jan, one of your regulars, is recovering from back surgery as I type this. The disk problems could be responsible for the numbness.

There is NO test for RLS - only a history and symptoms. If the neuro feels it's RLS, it probably is. The bloodwork he ordered won't determine if it's RLS, just if you are either anemic or have low ferritin levels - two common conditions associated with RLS that often make it worse. The only concerns is if it's primary (usually caused genetically) or secondary (caused by one of 20-30 other disorders or diseases). If he thinks it's primary and it's really secondary, you have to find out what the primary condition is. That's where the celiac panel comes in - it often causes secondary RLS. If you go to the New to RLS section and read the "sticky" posts, you'll find out lots about primary and secondary and the criteria for RLS.

Hang in there. College is coming and it won't be much fun if you are in this shape and all freaked out. It may take awhile, but eventually I'm counting on you getting to the bottom of this.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

M0onDreamr

restless arms

Post by M0onDreamr »

I have a dumb question, could birth control pills make the twitching worse? I stopped taking my pills almost 2 weeks ago and the twitching is not gone, but has subsided greatly? Anyone have any thoughts on this or could it just be a coincidence?
Just a M0onDreamr in Ohio

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hormones are related - it's one hypothesis as to why more women have RLS and it's worse at certain times of the month.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

M0onDreamr

restless arms

Post by M0onDreamr »

Requip is HORRIBLE!! I was having a fit last night. No matter how I layed there my arms just wouldn't quit. I decided to try a Requip. I haven't slept yet!!! My arms are so shaky its hard to type. My hands and my wrists are killing me this morning. I HAVE to go to work. Its annual evaluation time and even though I have been doing my best to fight through this calling off as little as possible, my boss is already ticked at me for starting school so I HAVE to go. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also have a cold (I haven't taken any meds for) and its hard to sleep on my back because I cough all night. I will be home around 2pm(EST) for lunch and will check in.

Thank you!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If you had a reaction to the Requip - it can take a while to adjust to - the only thing that can help you is time. It will work its way out of your system soon.

Sounds like this is not a drug for you to take casually! Requip works best taken PRIOR to any symptoms. When you take it after they have started, it doesn't work nearly as well, or at all. That said, your reaction could be augmentation - the drug making the RLS worse. I doubt you want to ever take it again, but it might be worth it to take it on a weekend night before you have symptoms, and when you have nothing to do the next day.

Requip also works best when taken regularly. Because is does have some side effects, it can take a couple of weeks of regular use to get used to it. One of the side effects is insomnia :? If you want something to take as needed, and not regularly, Sinemet is a much better choice. Or one of the benzos.

So sorry you are having a really bad day.

Managing Your RLS

M0onDreamr

restless arms

Post by M0onDreamr »

Man I am so exhausted!! lol My second wind left about an hour ago. It didn't dawn on me until this afternoon that I was drinking tea all night and I'm thinking maybe my decaf got switched for the reg stuff. (We had friends over that help themselves to fridge and might have switched pitchers) When everyone describes 'pain' is it like you've pulled all the muscles in your body? I'm used to joint pain, but my neck, back, arms, and thighs are so tense it hurts to touch. I'm so sorry for asking such dumb questions, but I'm really confused about all of this.

Thank you for your advice,
Jenn