Getting Worse

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
hummer1949

Getting Worse

Post by hummer1949 »

I just found this site and I need it so badly. I have had RLS symptoms for years. I am now 57 and they were so bad a month ago I finally went to a dr. I didn't have a good night's sleep for weeks and was so sleep deprived I was afraid to drive. The dr gave me sinemet (10/100) twice a day; plus I was already taking clonazepam (0.5 mg) at bedtime. At first I thought it was a miracle. I slept all night long for weeks. Now, however, the syptoms are back and start early in the day. I have even had times that the muscles in my abdomen seem to spasm. My legs seem weak when I walk and I have anxiety attacks so bad I've had to leave the grocery store without completing my shopping. Can all of this be attributed to RLS?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner »

Sinemet is highly coorelated with augmentation. Augmentation (as it refers to RLS) is the worsening of RLS symptoms and especially causing symptoms earlier and earlier in the day.

Better choices for dopamine agonists are Requip or Mirapex. If you cannot tolerate those then you may need to ask the MD to step up to other drugs. A good reference list is the Mayo clinic algorithym. Good luck.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ridge has given good advice. For more info on augmentation, please read the "sticky" post in the Pharma section of the board. Here is a link: http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1897 You need to stop the Sinemet (after talking to your doctor); within a short time, your symptoms will most likely return to where they were.

To learn more about RLS and the treatments that are used, please read the "sticky" post in the New to RLS section. http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1068 It will provide info on the algorithm (what drugs are used to treat RLS), many links to studies and articles for you to read or take to your doctor, and information on how to help manage your RLS without drugs - lifestyle management.

Hope that helps some.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

hummer1949

Changed meds

Post by hummer1949 »

Thanks for the advice. I called my dr and he gave me a prescription for Requip. I hope it makes a difference. I had no idea that so many people suffered from this. The last dr I saw pretty much said it was all in my head :x . I have been suffering for so many years, as have so many others I'm sure. Hope you all are doing well

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Yep it was in my head, my arms, about every part of my body at one time or another! Trying to make a joke here! Hope that you find information that helps you achieve a vast improvement soon! Welcome to the fold, sorry you have RLS, yet it helps me to know I am not alone!

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

i just hate it when drs think you are crazy when you tell them what you are feeling. makes you want to smack them upside the head. aaaggghh :evil:

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945