Pulling pain in back of legs..is that RLS or Low Backproblem

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Irena

Pulling pain in back of legs..is that RLS or Low Backproblem

Post by Irena »

Today is my first day of taking Neurontin and I only take 1 tablet at night with the dose of 300mg. I'm still awake only because I'm getting this pulling pain in the back of my legs and there is an ache at my hips. I'm not even getting tired, I thought this new medication would help me sleep.
My creepy crawling feeling of my feet and legs I don't have tonight, I think the Neurontin helped on that. So my question is, the pulling ache in the back of my legs, is that RLS? Also can the sensations that one has usually gotten with RLS change to different sensations as time goes by or does the sensations of RLS stay the same.
I am so sick of not going to sleep with the rest of my family at night. When in the past I have mentioned this to my doctor, he sent me to a shrink. Which did me no good. I am not depressed and have nothing to talk about that is troubling me, only that I would love to get a good night sleep at night time like normal people do...so to speak... I have found now that even when I have a break from RLS that I usually have trouble getting off to sleep. Does this happen to anyone else and if so...can you shed some light on this as to why this might be so please.

Thanks again everyone. :?: :)
Irena

jumpyowl

Pain is still there

Post by jumpyowl »

Even though neurontin is supposed to be first choice for patients with pain, one cannot always go by the book. It is my feeling that you would benefit from an approach that combines at least two medications from two different drug classes, e.g. could be neurontin with hydrocodone. Often there is no one magic pill. :cry:

You are wise that you are not falling for the "it is all in your mind" tactic. That is a cop out for the doctor and can have bad consequences for the patient.

Explain to your doctor that you are getting only partial relief and you need to augment (pun intended) your drug treatment. Even though I am not a practicing physician, an opioid would make sense as the endogenous opiate system has an indirect effect on the dopaminergic system in the body.

You are entitled to pain relief to ensure quality life and a good night sleep!
Jumpy Owl