Is there anyone like me?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Stumped

Post by Stumped »

Hi, Elfrieda here.

I had been posting as a guest, but I registered and now I can't post under the name Elfrieda anymore. I get the message that the user name has been used.

claradragon

Logging on

Post by claradragon »

If you log on under 'log on to read private messages' at the top of the page you should be able to log on under your username :wink:.
My bio is on pg1/new to rls/new members and current members please help.My diary is under new to rls/is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Elfrieda

Post by Elfrieda »

Okay, I'll try again. I want to continue to post. I've enjoyed reading all the replies so far.

jan3213

Don't give up!

Post by jan3213 »

This is Jan

I've enjoyed your posts, too!! Don't give up!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Elfrieda

Post by Elfrieda »

Thanks, Claradragon. You are a genius.

I also wanted to tell Jumpyowl that I'm sorry if he thought that I thought he was coming on too strong.

jumpyowl

Not a problem Elfrieda!

Post by jumpyowl »

Then when I will have time, I will post some more of my theories. :)

You are right on target. She has been recognized as a genius at an early age.

May I ask what your field is? Just entre nous professors?
Jumpy Owl

Elfrieda

My field

Post by Elfrieda »

I teach writing mostly to freshman and developmental students. And what is your field, Jumpyowl?

Jan, I don't intend to give up anything except maybe all of my health problems. :)

jumpyowl

Thanks, Elfrieda

Post by jumpyowl »

(I keep thinking Elvira).

My doctorate was in physical chemistry major, physics and theoretical chemistry minor from Cornell, in 1962. I have never managed to get a B.Sc. but I did study chemical engineering for 7 semesters in Europe.

However, almost all my research work was in medicine and dental sciences. I was a Professor of Ophthalmolgy and Biochemistry until I retired in 1990.

This young generation needs to learn how to write and compose. I am sure you have your hands full. You can also correct us. I, for one, would welcome it.

If you are ready to complete the questionnaire, e-mail me and I send it to you either in World format or Rich Text format.
Jumpy Owl

becat

sorry

Post by becat »

I'm sorry, I just reread the entire thread and I was a fault with spelling.
Your words are not loose, you lose them while speaking.
Sorry.

Sole

Post by Sole »

Elfrieda,

Welcome. I'm sorry I didn't welcome you earlier. Life's been hectic this week. Here's a very silly question, which you may have already answered. You mention that you don't think you have RLS symptoms, is that right? If so, how did you happen upon this site? Do you still think your symptoms don't match? Have you mentioned RLS to your neuro...or he to you?

I'm beginning to believe more everyday that RLS has many faces. Not just the four or so diagnostic criterias used now.

I don't think that last sentence made much sense but my brain is in a fog. Hopefully you understand my meaning. :-)
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

Elfrieda

questioning symptoms

Post by Elfrieda »

Sole,

My neurologist said I had "Restless Body Syndrome." When I asked him where I'd find information on it, he told me to look up RLS. When I did, all the "official" descriptions didn't match what I felt. Many said legs that were so restless a person couldn't sleep. Not me. My legs are hardly ever involved, and I sleep like a dead person. I've asked my husband if I move around in my sleep and he said rarely (he is often awake long after I go to sleep). Some description call RLS a sleep disorder, and as I stated. I SLEEP. I have non-restorative sleep, but that's from the Fibromyalga, which I have had for years. The symptoms of "RLS" or RBS came on me suddenly in 12/03. Even people on this site have said that they feel worse in the evenings. I feel better along towards evening and have become somewhat of a night owl because of it. I want to stay up and "play" in the evening and early night because I know I'll feel like a wreck in the morning, which I would anyway even if I went to bed early.

I challenged the neuro-guy, and he said that I had an "atypical, severe case."

Whatever I have, I have really suffered with it for months. Upon reading some of the experiences on this site, I think that either RLS is more involved than doctors are aware of or will admit or that several of us have something that stump them, and RLS is an easy way to dismiss or categorize what's going on.

I have posted in this same thread more details of my condition.

Elfrieda.

becat

YOUR RIGHT

Post by becat »

Hi Elfieda,
That is exactly why we are doing our research project. I think the have it much too narrowed down at the moment. There are as many symptoms amoung us as there are conclusions about them from the medical community.
Even with my own Doctor, that is very published in the subject of RLS, he's deaf to anything that does not fit into the acceptable realm of symptoms already established. For goodness sakes, my first memory is growing pains and tears, but he still wonders if I really have RLS.....aaaaaaarrrrrgggggg
I just pray that the work we're are all putting in here, right now is going to help force change. Quality of life counts. Proper treatment is going to have to happen.

jan3213

More and More Symptoms

Post by jan3213 »

Elfrieda, this is Jan

I've had RLS for 20 years. I've been a member of this forum since late May. I thought I knew a lot about RLS. Boy, was I wrong!! I knew the basics, but I've learned so much since I joined this site. For one thing, there are SO MANY symptoms of RLS, it's ridiculous. As Becat said, the medical community has such a narrow view of RLS, it's ridiculous. As YOU said, Elfrieda, just read the posts and you'll see how RLS effects everyone of us so differently, yet most of us end of feeling very similar. TERRIBLE--achy, in pain, some of us have trouble walking, on and on and on. That's why some of us are so passionate about the questionnaires and, if Jumpy is able to present the statistics he obtains from them at the November meeting to the proper people, who know what might start to happen!!! We may start a revolution!! Someone has to!! Just think of the little children who have it!! Maybe there's hope that they won't have to suffer the rest of their lives! Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Jan

Elfrieda

strange feeling

Post by Elfrieda »

Hi Gang,

Have any of you felt like this? (I'm always curious to compare). Today, I've had the "feeling" in my chest, and I keep envisioning that scene in Alien where the alien bursts forth out of the person's chest. :shock: I have felt like that is going to happen at any moment. Most of my feelings have been deep inside like that. Very strange.

Sleep will be welcome tonight after the day I've had.

Elfrieda

jan3213

Feeling in chest

Post by jan3213 »

Elfrieda, it's Jan

Do you think it's almost like anxiety or a panic attack? Sometimes, I feel like that--it's kind of hard to explain. Mine isn't pain, is yours? Am I "getting it" right?

Jan