Does anyone here feel PAIN and not just wierd sensations?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
sweetmissp

Does anyone here feel PAIN and not just wierd sensations?

Post by sweetmissp »

Since I was a small child, I've had these experiences of trying to sleep at night, but being unable to because my legs hurt.

My parents took me to see doctors, I've had x-rays and examinations... they couldn't find anything wrong. I'm 21 years old now.

I still get this feeling. It's very painful for me. Not unbearable, but much more than just an uncomfortable feeling.

It almost always happens at night, and it happens every few weeks.

I also find that moving my legs around helps alieviate some of the pain. When my legs are hurting, I wiggle them around a lot. Warm baths help. Sometimes I pace back and forth and that also helps. I find that pain killers like tylenol don't work.

It's not a burning/creepy crawly sensation... it's painful, yet hard to describe.

Does anyone else here experinced anything like this?

ctravel12

does anyone feel pain not just wierd sensations

Post by ctravel12 »

sweetmissp some of the people do have the pain and may not have the wierd sensations. Myself, I have both. We have so many wonderful forums to check out. I would check out the "New to RLS" and read as many of the posts as you can. I know other members will write in and offer suggestions. If you do have rls, I am sorry but glad that you found us. There are so many of the members out there that will jump in and add to this. I hope that you are feeling much better. There is help out there. Welcome.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I've had RLS all of my life--I can remember never being able to sit still and constantly getting into trouble for it. As a young adult, my legs became very, very, achy--especially my thighs. It was always much worse at night. I would rub Ben-Gay on them every night, but it never helped.

Then, the creepy crawly feeing started and intensified greatly in my mid-30's.

My legs still ache, but not all of the time. My RLS is under control right now, but even with meds, I sometimes can't sit through a movie and have that "feeling" break through.

Right now, I'm on pain medication because of herniated discs in my back. I'm set for surgery on September 12. A lot of people use pain meds for their RLS, and I have to say that my RLS has never been under so much control before. I haven't had any breakthrough RLS in over 2 weeks, which is amazing.

Good luck sweetmissp. Please keep us informed because we all care around here.

Wishing you peaceful rest.
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

yep thats me, pain, no creepy crawlies just painful legs. can't sleep cause they hurt, so you move them around, might as well be eating m&ms as for me to take tylenol. u and i are on the same boat!

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

sweetmissp

Post by sweetmissp »

Thanks for replying :)

I haven't been diagnosed with rls... I haven't complained of it to doctors for years because they would all tell me that they don't see anything wrong with my legs.

I'm actually relieved to find that there IS a condition that fits what I go through so well... that maybe I have been misdiagnosed and possibly get some help now.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

dr has me on a DA, pain med, and sleep med. next time you go to the dr, print off a bunch of stuff about rls and maybe even some of the discussions here on the board to show that you are not imagining it and you are not alone in your misery.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

hypnotode

Post by hypnotode »

Many general practitioners are in the dark when it comes to RLS. I was lucky that mine recognized it and sent me to a neurologist. If your doc can't help, take yourself off to a neuro! :D
Neurontin, Trileptal, Cymbalta, and Flexeril work for me.

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

I get both pain and a feeling of a electrical shock through my legs when they jerk. And on the neuro info quite often there are several of those out there that dont know either. I am on my way to number three on sat so keep looking until you find one that is up on rls. My recommendation is to go right here on the rls.org site and pick a neuro that has his practice listed here. I am on number three the first two were local but now I am off to one that came from here. I figure it this way if they have the guts to put there name here on a national web site for such a horrible disease then they are serious in finding what will work best for me. Good luck to you
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

ctravel12

does anyone here feel pain and not just wierd sensations

Post by ctravel12 »

Jan thanks for mentioning to check to see if your neurologist is on the rls.org. I checked this and my neurologist is on the list. That was good info. Appreciate you posting that.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

rfishburn

Post by rfishburn »

I get pain and the creepy crawly's, my doctor always said it was growing pains.....after I turned 22 he was out of ideas.
Randy

neelia

Post by neelia »

I get both, the creepy jumpy sensations and PAIN!!! It HURTS!!! Hang in there!!

I still need to get my butt in gear and see a neurologist...anybody know of one in central PA??

mwade1

Let pain

Post by mwade1 »

I get leg pain, but it's a different kind of pain. My lymph nodes get hard and ache, and so do some muscles. Massaging both helps a lot, but sometimes the nodes are so tender it hurts to massage them. Oddly, when the Requip kicks in, the pain and hardness of the nodes goes away. Some evenings are worse than others. You know the routine.

Luckily, I've had great luck with the several meds I've been on. Loved Pergolide, but it finally stopped working and the doc switched me to Requip which works, but... That's another topic.

Good luck and God bless us every one.
Smile! If it doesn't help you, and it likely will, it surely will help someone else!!!
Just Mike!