Neuro Appt

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
neelia

Neuro Appt

Post by neelia »

Well, I FINALLY got a referral from my family doc for a neuro consult. It is not until 11/30, but at least I have an appointment.

What questions should I ask? What should I expect at the appointment? Any suggestions on how to prepare for this?

Aileen

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

H iAileen,

Wow, how did I miss this? So sorry it's been so long and no answers. There have been some good posts in the past about this.

First, go prepared. It's hard to do, but walk a line between being smart and informed and needing their advice. They can get really freaked out if you know more than they do! But, you have to know something to make sure you're getting good care.

They'll do a complete history and rule out other problems. Might want a sleep study to look for PLMD.

So you need medication? Make sure you know what your bottom line is. What you'll consider, if you want meds, how meds have affected you in the past, etc. Also, know the side effects profiles of the meds. It helps you know what to expect. Reading the algorithm (it's in the sticky on managing RLS) is really helpful. If the doc does something that's not on the algorithm, then you need to ask questions.

I'm sure someone else will add to this. If you have a chance, look around for the other posts in the past about this. . . I'm sure they are much more thorough than my random garbled late-night thoughts!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mwade1

Post by mwade1 »

Greetings Aileen! Far be it from me to add much to Ann's good words, but I'll try if nothing more than to offer encouragement. Glad you got the appointment. This stuff is usually managable once you realize what you have and review the options and choose a plan to start with.

I agree totally with Ann's comment about going informed, but not knowing too much. Many docs have large egos and you can turn them away by making them think you're telling them their business. But go in informed because a doc who's totally intimidated by someone who knows has an idea what they're dealing with may not be the right doc for you. Again, we walk that fine line. Always walking. :lol:

Docs usually like to treat stuff with meds, and in this case, that's not a bad place to start. The right med will help most of us, while some of the other options will help some and not others. So be prepared for one or more of the drugs and know the side affects. If they want to start you on Requip (the latest and greatest) be sure you get the instructions on the titration procedure (starting at a low dose and working up until it works). My doc didn't give me that, and I had a nasty week or so, but am now pretty happy with the stuff. Hard telling what your doc might want to try, but that one is the only FDA approved for RLS, so is probably being prescribed more often than some other options.

I could go on, but like Ann suggested, pour over the many good contributions on this site. There is a world of great sharing that has been done here.

Good luck, and keep us informed on your experience!!
Smile! If it doesn't help you, and it likely will, it surely will help someone else!!!
Just Mike!

neelia

Post by neelia »

Thanks everyone! I have recently found the other posts you referred to. I can harldy wait for my appt!