RLS weird to me

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
smileysaesh

RLS weird to me

Post by smileysaesh »

Okay, I am brand new to the discussion group but have been reading through the threads and now truly believe I have RLS :( BUT I would like to know if these are common or related symtoms:
"RLS" feeling all the way up back and to face
certain point on lower back that if massaged will feel like the nervous system is "short-circuiting"
and if anyone has the feeling ALL DAY LONG but doesn't lose too much sleep over it (yet, anyway)
I feel so much for you all. I wish this awful feeling could be understood.

jumpyowl

RLS re-defined

Post by jumpyowl »

I have been looking for a precise all encompassing definition for RLS and so far this is what I have come up with:

RLS is a neurological movement disorder characterized by sensory and motor abnormalities.
It consist of deep seated, annoying, uncomfortable feelings that in some individuals may lead to pain.
Movement of the affected body parts (most often legs) relieve both sensation and accompanying pain, if any.
It is a chronic condition that may wax or wane and usually becomes more pronounced with age.
The symptoms have a circadian nature; they are more intense between 6:00 PM to 4:00 AM.

RLS or Ekborn Syndrome could be the result of dopaminergic dysfunction (diminished dopaminergic activity in the central nervous system at the subcortical level). Possible involvement of the endogenous opiate system OR indirect effect on the dopaminergic system is likely.

Now that the fancy stuff is out off the way I would like to mention an observation that is more closely related to your post.

As I am now paying more attention to my symptoms as I go to bed and try to relax, I notice that there are occasionally reasons other than pareshesias and dysesthesias which cause me to move. Such feelings are very light sensation like a fluff landing on the face, arms, or other uncovered part of the body that forces one to "brush" it off or rub it or scratch it, even though it is not an itch.
Last edited by jumpyowl on Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

smileysaesh

Post by smileysaesh »

Does anyone feel like the sensations are originating from somewhere? Mine feel like the "short" in my nerves is comming from my lower back. If I rub it, it jolts the electricity all over the place. I never twitch, though. Just feel like I want to jump out of my skin. Is this all encompassing?

jumpyowl

electricity?

Post by jumpyowl »

Hi, smiley:

As you describe the sensation it almost sounds like static electricity! but that would not occur unless the air is very dry, and it is a high voltage phenomenon that can be readily distinguished from nerve impulses.

I have a feeling that your paresthesias are a bit different from typical RLS if there are such things. :roll: Could you describe them in more detail or tell us what happens during a typical night?
Jumpy Owl