Starting mirapex..need info.

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
vinton

Starting mirapex..need info.

Post by vinton »

Hi,

Me neuro is starting me on Mirapex.
0.125 at bedtime for 5 days
0.250 at bedtime for 5 days
0.5 mg till he sees me.

How long does it take to take effect?
What the side effects at the beginning?

Thanks
Had multiple sclerosis for 35 years +

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'm not a doc. . .that said, I'd suggest starting at 1/2 a dose and seeing what happens. .125 DOES control RLS for some people. Then, if you need it, add .125 at five day intervals. I only needed .125 to start, but the doc started me on more. I had horrid side effects. At .125 I did not.

Of course, just my opinion.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

vinton

mirapex

Post by vinton »

thanks for the info.

Yes he started me on 0.125 at 5 days interval and then 0.5 steady. So I think that is what you felt good at.

Thanks

Vinton

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sorry! I missed that. But, you don't necessarily need to increase it, too. Only if it doesn't do the job. The average for people is about .65 or so. So, you may need more, too. It's just good to know that we are all so different and we need differing amounts.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ctravel12

starting mirapex - need info

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Vinton. Welcome to the board. I am so sorry that you have rls but am glad that you found us. You have found a very good and supportive board. I have never used mirapex so cannot tell you what to do, but know that other members will post who uses this med. I am also sorry to hear that you have ms for that many years. I hoped that all works out well for you and please keep us posted and let us know how you are doing. We all really do care as we are one wonderful family.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Vinton and welcome to the forum

I'm so sorry you need us, but so glad you found us.

I've been on Mirapex a long time--I seem to be one of those people it helps. I'm on 2 mg. at bedtime. The side effect I've noticed is weight gain. I know others have also had this side effect.

As others have said, everyone is so different--meds effect people differently, so I can't tell you what to do or when to expect to see how Mirapex effects you.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted. As Charlene said, this is a great place for great support and lots of information.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

vinton

mirapex

Post by vinton »

OK! So if I start at 0.125 for 5 days and so on. How long does it take for the med to have full effect so I know when to stop or go up?

Thanks
vinton

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's quick - no need to build up in your system. BUT, it takes 90 minutes to work, so take it before symptoms start. So, by day 5, you will know completely if it's working. Going slowly eliminates/reduces side effects. These usually go away, but can take a few weeks to do so.

Managing Your RLS

vinton

mirapex

Post by vinton »

Hi,

For 2 days I took 0.125 mg before bedtime and I slept like a log and after months I'm sleeping well. Also during the day I dont have any more funny feelings in me legs but all I feel is a tightness. I remeber when I went to the neuro my calf muscles were so sore so I guess its working.

My only decision is if I should go to 0.25 and then 0.5 as the neuro suggested.He left it to me to decide where to stop but set a limit of 0.5.

Actually I dont remember what feeling good is like so this is why I dont know if I should go up some more or stay there.

This is why I'm taking your advice as I've had this problem for years and learned to live so I'm like a kid with a new toy ..