Need advice

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Jeffrey

Need advice

Post by Jeffrey »

I am new to this forum but have been diagnosed with RLS for about a year now.
I am trying to find out if the following symptoms are related to RLS.

After standing for a long period of time (3-4 hours) I develop small red
blotches on my calves that last about 2 days then go away.

Secondly, since I have been diagnosed I have easily pulled muscles in my lower leg and ankle.

Any information would be great.
Thanks to all,
Jeffrey

Sara

RE: red blotches

Post by Sara »

Jeffrey--

Do the red blotches itch or hurt? Do they look a little like an insect bite--somewhat raised over a small area, but no specific bump or wound?

I have recently started to have strange blotches on my skin, mostly on my feet and sometimes on my thighs. I'm self-diagnosed RLS (had it since my teens... many moons ago :wink: ) and new to this forum, too, so I have no idea if they have anything to do with RLS--- or anything else. If I have any the next time I go to the doctor, I'll ask him about them, but mostly I get them in the evenings, so I'm thinking a doctor may never see them.

Welcome to the group; sorry you have RLS, but the folks here are very helpful and supportive. :D

Best wishes-- Sara

jwilson

Post by jwilson »

Sara,

Thank you for your reply. I have had RLS for what seems like forever and about a year ago I heard about RLS and went to my doctor who referred me to a Neurologist. She agreed immediately that I had RLS and we started treatment.
Anyway...
The red blotches do look like insect bite but do not itch or hurt and are not raised, they are just there! It took me a long time before I realized that they only showed up after prolonged periods of standing. I told my doctor about them but she had no real ideas about why they are there, however, I have never been able to show them to her. They do not show up on my feet only on the calves and sometime the lower thigh.

Are you taking anything for your RLS? I use Requip and it seems to work well but lately I have noticed that if I skip a dose I can feel the onset of RLS more and more.

I hope someone here has some advice for me but I think I may need to see a vascular doctor.

Thanks again,
Jeffrey

Sara

RE: red splotches

Post by Sara »

Hello, again, Jeffrey--

Hmmm... sounds similar in some ways, maybe different in others. The ones I get on my thighs don't have much "feel" to them, I guess, thinking back. Sort of warm and "irritated", but the ones on my feet actually have a weird pain/itch combo.

I am usually on my feet all day the days I get them, and maybe the reason that they seem to hurt/itch is because often their on the SOLE of my feet, where the inflammation/swelling of the site is more confined and also more irritated by movement because I have to STAND on them!

I notice, though, that they always disappear before the next morning, so it's struck me as odd. I guess I'm no help, but I sure do understand the feeling of wondering what the HECK they are!!!

As for RLS, when I first heard of it a couple of years ago, I was sure right away that that MUST be what had been driving me nuts since at least my late teens (I'm nearly 40). I'm currently not taking meds, because I CAN still sleep. For me, the worst is trying to SIT in the evening. Just can't sometimes, and riding in the car at night is miserable, too.

To tell you the truth, sitting here TYPING right now isn't all that comfy, either (about 5 pm my time). :P But if I go lay down or walk around now, I'll have a big decrease in the sensations for awhile. And when it's bedtime, if I read to keep my mind busy when I first get into bed, I don't usually have trouble falling asleep. I AM noticing much more RLS during the earlier evening and in the morning, too, and I THINK that it's waking me up now, early in the morning, when I'd like to catch another hour or two. So far, I feel quite fortunate!!! :!:

Hope that the Requip continues to give you relief. And that someone can answer your question about the red splotches. Hang in there!!!!

Sara

shauna1118

new to RLS

Post by shauna1118 »

Hi... I not only have RLS, but have had two fusions. One in the neck and one in the lumbar. The RLS came about after the spinal fusion. I take neurontin 100mg 3x a day and it seems to be helping. However, the last three days it has not and the pain has been unbearable. On top of it all I have been diagnosed with CFS and Fibromyalgia. This isn't news as I had both of those in 1989 but with exercise and sleep kept those symptoms under control. Only since the two surgeries have those conditions flared up. The little red spots I saw in '98 and showed my doctor they were on my ankles. For me they turned out to be from the onset on type II diabetes. I have that under diet control. I have started swim therapy and seems to help but wasn't even able to do that today either. Then I have tendon problems as well. Fell like my whole body is giving me fits..... Glad to see others have the same troubles as me. i too have lost for words at times and feel like a freak...........Shauna

jumpyowl

Jeffrey, Shauna, Sara...

Post by jumpyowl »

Especially the first two....

It is important to determine definitely that you have RLS with pain. There are different types of pain and may depend on the type of pain medication you are taking.

Neurontin helps with certain types of pain but it will not with other. It is important to control pain as well as to assure sufficient sleep.

Have you had a sleep study?

Does some of the pain goes away with movement?

Also augmentation is so typical especially if the dopamine agonists are not taken timely. (Requip or Mirapex).

You two are so typical of a certain type of RLS patient that I would very much love to receive a completed questionnaire from you. I already received one from Sara (Thanks! :) )

E-mail me (click on my e-mail button) and I send you a questionnaire. It is so important to get this information down on paper I cannot even explain.
Jumpy Owl

cornelia

jeffrey/red blotches

Post by cornelia »

Jeffrey, I too have the red blotches you describe. Only on my face and only in the evening.
I suspect it is the Requip, because at 1800 I always start taking Requip. Or it is the Neurontin, which I start at that time too. They are always gone in the morning.
Corrie